14:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Coupling

Old 16th June 2016, 08:42

Coupling

Hey guys,

I am writing an article about coupled trains but I am struggling with finding some information.

What do you think about the future of coupled freight trains? Will the common ways of coupling be replaced by automated/virtual coupling?
If we are going to implement ETCS level 3 one day and get rid of axle counters, how we are going to operate freight trains consisting on coupled wagons?

Old 16th June 2016, 08:48

Will our implementation of ETCS still go ahead if we leave the EU ?

What effect will a successful BREXIT have on UK railway safety plans ?

And as I did not know anything about "axle counters", the what and why, I looked it up.

Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axle_counter

Last edited by pre65; 16th June 2016 at 08:50.
Old 16th June 2016, 09:08

yeah, axle counters are so much fun :3

I don't think that leaving EU will have any impact on implementing ETCS. I think that even countries outside of EU adapted the rules for railway interoperability.
Old 18th June 2016, 13:17

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Even more fascinating (to me at least) is virtual coupling. I've learned two things today as axle counters were a mystery to me also

http://www.railway-energy.org/static..._trains_86.php

KEN
Old 18th June 2016, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
I don't think that leaving EU will have any impact on implementing ETCS. I think that even countries outside of EU adapted the rules for railway interoperability.
There are two reasons why I can see ETCS being delayed, or even not happening here.

1) Europe is pushing us to adopt its own system - ETCS. If we do leave the EU, Network Rail won't have to spend billions on implementing it. Our current government is all out to save money.

2) The UK is an ISLAND. Our trains don't cross borders into other countries, and their trains don't come onto our network. Our ONLY interopability with Europe is via the channel tunnel - and HS1 already has its ETCS sorted.

In short we just don't need interoperability with the rest of Europe because with the exception of HS1 we don't interoperate. We get by very nicely without ETCS, thanks.

HTH BW

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 18th June 2016 at 20:47.
Old 18th June 2016, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
If we are going to implement ETCS level 3 one day and get rid of axle counters, how we are going to operate freight trains consisting on coupled wagons?
Here's a guess.

Before the start of the journey, in obtaining movement authority the freight train driver would program the length (and weight) of the train into the ERTMS cab panel. This is something that many Class 66 drivers do with the loco computer already.

The safety in the system is that all trains must be fitted with the automatic brake. So if the train comes apart the brakepipe will vent and the train will be stopped by an emergency brake application. This will be observed by the RBC (Radio Block Centre), which will slow down and stop the following trains accordingly. The driver must inform the signaller that his train has divided.

If the driver needs to add or remove vehicles from the train during the journey, this information will be pased via the ERTMS panel in the cab before authority is given for the next movement.

HTH BW
Old 20th July 2016, 03:18

any one know what kind of coupler is this?
Sggrss_kloub.jpg

thank you