07:55

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Mobile phones on trains.

Old 15th March 2012, 13:22

Mobile phones on trains.

These days, idiots on trains are becoming much more common, they shout at mobiles or play loud music on them, there is no way to avoid them as most trains do not have a 'quiet coach'. The other thing is why do some parents think it ok to let kids run around the train making a noise then expect the rest of us to tolerate it, happened recently on a 317 all the way from Ponders End to Cambridge on a Sunday, during the week some people turn a section of the train in to an office, why?
We have some of the nicest railway routes in the world, so enjoyable but there are so many selfish, inconsiderate gits intent in spoiling it.

Old 15th March 2012, 20:54

Unhappy

I have had several run ins with mobile users over the years. most people like to travel quietly, relax read or enjoy the journey. Most of my longer journeys were south west to north east. Why does one have to remind people that they are using a mobile in a quiet coach. Some users seem to think a train is were they can share their life with the rest in the carriage and others impose noisy children upon others. Perhaps a few cattle trucks could be added for phone users on all trains????
Old 15th March 2012, 21:02

It's not just trains. In my local library you are allowed to use your mobile as long as you show consideration to others and are allowed to eat food as long as it's not hot.
Old 15th March 2012, 21:34

i commute from manchester victoria to wigan and bradford,different days different routes-i hear people on their mobiles speaking loudly all the time,i once went from vic to blackpool-a women was on the phone for the duration of the journey[1 hour 27 mins],she must of rang 6 or 7 people telling how she was late from piccadilly due to the tram being delayed[nothing new there]when she got on the train at victoria she told the same story to all of her friends-i felt like telling her to shut up..then you have the kids playing music on the mobile,i pod or whatever they are called..then again i feel like saying something,,but,back in the day i was playing music from my ghetto blaster for all to hear-so i tolerate it,ive been there and done it,people using the train as a mobile office,papers all over the table,cases on seats etc,then i would certainly pipe up.
Old 16th March 2012, 03:57

No problem. Take a look at >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz5MppfxOPU

Chris

Last edited by Axe; 16th March 2012 at 03:59.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:54

Excellent link, and pity there was not more treatment of those inconsiderate travellers in this way. But there is simple technology which masks out mobile phone reception, and it should be installed in railway "quiet" carriages, and places like schools and churches. TOCs should not be encouraging these modern scourges, what did people do in the days before these "devices" were around? Waited until they got to their destination, or used a coin-phone on the way........annoying nobody.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:40

You can get if you know where to find them mobile phone blockers.

They are illegal in the UK. They work when close to a mobile and cut the signal. They look like a mobile phone so no one would suspect you.

I entirely agree with the sentiments expressed and love the link.

Now I have what my friends call the "Old Gits" railcard I try to book first class on my long distance journeys which, if you can plan well ahead, is not that more expensive.

Not many problems like that in this part of the train.

Last edited by Belmont Road; 16th March 2012 at 10:43.
Old 16th March 2012, 14:58

IF! Only I could. Good laugh though!
Old 16th March 2012, 15:50

[QUOTE= snipped
Now I have what my friends call the "Old Gits" railcard I try to book first class on my long distance journeys which, if you can plan well ahead, is not that more expensive.

Not many problems like that in this part of the train.[/QUOTE]

I don't know which trains you travelled on, but when I was working and I travelled First as part of my job there were just as many idiots there, as well as drunk "businessmen" going home after work!
Old 16th March 2012, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyharker View Post
I don't know which trains you travelled on, but when I was working and I travelled First as part of my job there were just as many idiots there, as well as drunk "businessmen" going home after work!
Well I have been lucky - definitely no screaming kids. I can only get seats on the off peak trains at midday or early afternoon so perhaps that's why.