12:07

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Initial assessment test for train drivers,

Old 3rd September 2010, 18:19

Initial assessment test for train drivers,

Does anyone know what type of score you should aim for on the assessment tests? Ie. Mechanical Comprehension, Trainability for rules and procedures, Group Bourdon Test?

Well I would report back from Barrow Hill but ain’t been able to get there for 3 weeks!!

Speak soon and I look forward to your reply’s..
Thanks, Richard

PS.I think this forum site could do with a General discussion section

Old 3rd September 2010, 18:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag1rich View Post

PS.I think this forum site could do with a General discussion section

Derailed ?
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Derailed ?
Oh how tru. A general discission thingy would be an excellent addition to the forum.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:52

Quote:
Derailed ?
Oh how tru. A general discission thingy would be an excellent addition to the forum.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:15

Quote:
Derailed ?
I think, it could possibly pose what it says, how about the sidings or sidings??
Old 6th September 2010, 10:11

As far as I understand the actual 'pass scores' are a closely guarded secret, and for the obvious reasons. Having recently undertaken these tests (not done the reaction and coordination yet though) I can only say that I didn't think I'd done all that well, but I was invited for interview so clearly I had passed. My advice is don't worry too much about a 'score'. I believe the main emphasis over all the tests is a measure of how you react to pressure, and how you are able to keep control of yourself and get on with the task at hand quickly, accurately, and methodically. Although they are timed, speed seems to be less of a priority than accuracy in most cases. It's not how much you do, but how much you do correctly. Of course, there is a minimum speed, but I tried not to think about that, and to work at a quick but comfortable speed. On the 'dots' test, for example, I only completed to the next line down from the half-way point on each of the five sheets, but I'm pretty confident that in that I made no more than one mistake if that. The trainability one was fairly easy - the text we were given didn't have any illogical stuff in, so it made it easy to remember. The mechanical comprehension was probably the worst for me, I didn't realise just how much I'd forgotten. And the dials were much harder than the practice matierial as there were more variables to consider for each dial. Make use of the scrap paper provided on this, to note the orders as you work them out - it makes it easier to spot the correct sequence on the multiple choices, and helps prevent mistakes trying to memorise the sequence and work out which one is a,b,c,or d! Hope this is of some help,
Regards, Jim

If it has less than 16 wheels it had better be a bike. If it has more than two wheels, it had better be a TRAIN!!