00:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Bachmann Branch Line

Old 26th May 2007, 20:09
Station Manager

Bachmann Branch Line

I have been feeling down this week as I have been banned from driving by my doctor after a mini stroke. So I said to hell with it, and took a walk of about a mile to my local model shop to cheer myself up. I bought 2 Bachmann china Clay Wagons (weathered) and a Toady brake van. As some of you will know, I have had a total knee replacement, so the walk back included a stop at a cafe for a coffee. While sat drinking the coffee, I had a look at my purchase. The guy that runs the cafe came over and had a look as well. We started to talk modeling (he is into military models) when he said "can you spot the difference between the two clay wagons"? I had a good look, but only spotted the difference when he said "look below the the wagon. There were no wheels on the model of one of the wagons. I went back to the shop and said to the two people in the shop "can you spot the difference . They did not see what was wrong until I told them. Just goes to prove that we should check everything, even the big firms make mistakes.
Syd

Old 26th May 2007, 20:55

Sorry to hear about your health problems Syd.......Hope you are feeeling better and well on the way to recovery.
With the doctor stopping you from driving and the faulty clay wagon you're not having much luck with wheels at the moment are you?
Old 27th May 2007, 22:48

I managed to buy an N gauge PCA cement wagon that didn't even have any couplers! AND I had a good look at it before I parted with the cash. It was only when I got to the pub and sat down to inspect my new purchase that I noticed.

Hope you're feeling better soon Syd. I have problems with my knees myself. One of them sometimes clicks so much I'm beginning to wonder if I have wheel flats.

Get well soon.
Old 28th May 2007, 13:59
Station Manager

Hope you are getting better Syd.

This sounds much more like Hornby than Bachmann. Hornby's quality control is much worse: Missing spacer washers, loose wheels and motor mountings and incorrect back to back measurements on the wheels to name but a few!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 28th May 2007, 21:01
Station Manager

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, I am feeling a lot better. Won't tell the wife that yet as I can still play on the sympathy card for a bit longer. I must admit to having enjoyed not having to get up for work, even if I still wake up at 05:45 every morning (Body Clock will not switch off). Not being able to drive is the worst part, but then I could never live with myself if I hurt someone because I was driving when the quack told me not to. As for the sympathy card, well my daughter bought me an BR class 04 0-4-0 shunter. So now you know why I am milking the sympathy card. Deceitful I Know but useful
Syd
Old 29th May 2007, 17:21

Sorry to hear you've not been well Syd, but I'm glad to hear that you're on the road to recovery.

Adam
Old 29th May 2007, 18:11

I bought one of the old hornby pullman parlours a couple of years and there was two different bogies on the vehicle. One was a MK1 bogie and the other was a gresley bogie as fitted to the majority of the real pullmans.

GBRf_66709
Old 9th August 2007, 19:13

I guess I am lucky, as I have not had any problems with purchases. But I will definitely be taking a closer look from now on.

Alan Curtis