12:48

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Bachmann 108 - adding weight to dummy car

Old 7th April 2007, 18:06

Bachmann 108 - adding weight to dummy car

I recently bought a Bachmann class 108 dmu (one of the limited edition BR Blue ones from Modelzone). I'm very impressed with it in general, but, whilst the power car is hefty and feels solid, the dummy car is, I feel, excessively light. There's not enough traction to the rails to light the destination boards and interior properly and constantly (The power car, due to its weight, performs very well in this respect). Also, the dummy car skips off the rails when entering facing points off a curve (even when trailing behind the power car).
Trouble is, there's no room in the interior and very little room on the chassis for extra weight to be added. the only possibles are between the battery boxes and on the bogies themselves. Also I'm not that keen on taking it apart just yet! Anyone have any ideas? Is it safe to dismantle?

Old 16th April 2007, 13:12
Station Manager

I have the same ModelZone version. I have had the power car apart. Remove front bogie, then screw the screw underneath. Gently spring the sides with a screw driver while gently pushing the buffer beam away. Haven't tried the trailer car yet, but will have to to fit a decoder for the lights.

Mine would not move to start with, took the body off, worked fine, put body back, still works fine, don't know why!

Will look into the need for extra weight when I fit DCC decoders, which will be some time as I must get on with my layout!

The lights look great in the dark. Generally another great model from Bachmann!

Best wishes,

John

Last edited by John H-T; 16th April 2007 at 13:15.