16:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Free Travel on Metrolink

Old 27th January 2010, 14:44

But what makes you think that every Metrolink user listens to one of those stations? I usually listen to XFM or Absolute Radio.

As I've pointed out I used 6 stops on the first day of the free travel and only one of them had a notice saying about the free travel - that's the best way of informing regular passengers and they failed to use that method properly.

Based on posts on different web forums most regular passengers weren't aware of it prior to turning up on the day and a lot of rail enthuaists from outside the Manchester area went to Manchester to get a free tram ride.

I don't use the tram on a daily basis but have suffered plenty of incovenince on them - including a 45 minute delay at Bury, an hour delay at Eccles before I had to get a replacement bus service as the overhead electrics had failed and being on heavily overcrowded trains between Altrincham and Manchester when the Metrolink service has failed.

Old 28th January 2010, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Kurt View Post
Think you have totally forgotten the reason for these free days.

It was to say thanks to REGULAR travellers who had been so inconvienienced over the summer, not to over crowd the trams with people who rarely travel on Metrolink.

Those people who had been inconvienced have no one but themselves to blame I'm afraid if they were not aware of the free travel that was repeated reported on Key 103, Smooth and Centuary along with in the MEN on several occassions, on BBC North West Tonight and on Granada Reports.

So the occassional user may not have seen any of the high level of adverts, the free travel was not aimed at saying thanks to them.

Those who travel on the trams regularly would have seen the numerous signs on platforms and trams for the fortnight leading up the the free travel.

I'm sorry, but if people pay no attention to the local media and walk around with their eyes shut it's their own fault when they do not realise something is happening locally.

The MEN for example carried four seperate articles on the free travel......

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._of_free_trams

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....freetravel_day

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ams_freeforall

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ram_travellers
You're missing the point.

Joe Bloggs arrives in Manchester from London on a business meeting. He needs to get from Piccadilly Station tram station to Manchester Victoria, for example.

He's not seen any adverts, he hasn't even been aware of the situation. He is presented by 3 out of service ticket machines.

How is that his fault?

I'm sorry but you can't blaim regular people for coming onto the platform, trying to buy a ticket and not understanding why. Most of the people I spoke too ARE regular travellers as well as out of town commuters and chaos was evident among both demographics.

People don't watch Granada reports, or adverts, or read adverts, or local news, beleive it or not, and to some it isn't applicable. I don't watch or read any of those things and with good reason, I've neither the time or the inclination. Call me uncultured if you like but local news bores me stiff.

You need to let people know ON THE STATION at the time of travel that they don't need to buy a ticket, regardless of any other factor or the reason for the free travel. Simply putting the message "FREE TRAVEL TODAY" instead of "OUT OF SERVICE" would have helped.

Also, as a regular tram traveler I don't recall seeing one noticeable advert for free tram travel. I saw a few tiny stickers, that's it. As a resident of Manchester I would not call the advertising high level, I was only aware as I make it a point to follow railway news, no other reason.

Last edited by Deathbyteacup; 28th January 2010 at 11:11.
Old 25th February 2010, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
You're missing the point.

Joe Bloggs arrives in Manchester from London on a business meeting. He needs to get from Piccadilly Station tram station to Manchester Victoria, for example.

He's not seen any adverts, he hasn't even been aware of the situation. He is presented by 3 out of service ticket machines.

How is that his fault?

I'm sorry but you can't blaim regular people for coming onto the platform, trying to buy a ticket and not understanding why. Most of the people I spoke too ARE regular travellers as well as out of town commuters and chaos was evident among both demographics.

People don't watch Granada reports, or adverts, or read adverts, or local news, beleive it or not, and to some it isn't applicable. I don't watch or read any of those things and with good reason, I've neither the time or the inclination. Call me uncultured if you like but local news bores me stiff.

You need to let people know ON THE STATION at the time of travel that they don't need to buy a ticket, regardless of any other factor or the reason for the free travel. Simply putting the message "FREE TRAVEL TODAY" instead of "OUT OF SERVICE" would have helped.

Also, as a regular tram traveler I don't recall seeing one noticeable advert for free tram travel. I saw a few tiny stickers, that's it. As a resident of Manchester I would not call the advertising high level, I was only aware as I make it a point to follow railway news, no other reason.
They had people at Piccadilly and at the larger stations telling people it was free and announcing tram destinations (while gathering passenger data on free usage by hand since it couldnt be calculated through ticket sales)
Old 26th February 2010, 15:21

Watch - hello - good to see you

(Metrolink from elsewhere )
Old 26th February 2010, 19:01

Hi Kurt went looking for Rolling Stock news and stopped by here. Seems to be quite a bit of local knowledge of the area round here.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatcherZero View Post
They had people at Piccadilly and at the larger stations telling people it was free and announcing tram destinations (while gathering passenger data on free usage by hand since it couldnt be calculated through ticket sales)
I was just pulling two station names at random.