15:03

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Free Travel on Metrolink

Old 10th November 2009, 22:38

Free Travel on Metrolink

Forwarded from another group. By way of compensation for all the disruption, Metrolink are giving free travel on Saturday and next Thursday !

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/free_travel.asp

I shall be taking advantage of the offer. I had to go to Manchester anyway because I have an appointment with my optician / drinking partner / KWVR volunteer. But I'm going to try and make it to Bury and sample the East Lancs.

Old 12th November 2009, 07:04

I have a feeling it's going to be absaloutely heaving.
Old 12th November 2009, 21:05

I am going to try to take advantage of this and get to MOSI for a ride on Planet and then to the east lancs to see how things are going.
Perhaps they might put double trams on.
Old 18th January 2010, 13:06

I went to Manchester on the Saturday free day and there were usual single trams which weren't actually all that busy considering it was a Saturday.

However, there were no posters at stops mentioning the free travel meaning that a lot of regular passengers may have been unaware of the offer.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:09

The ticket machines were disabled during the freebies and station announcements made every ten minutes, but yeah the machines just said "out of service" on them so quite a few confused faces!
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyteacup View Post
The ticket machines were disabled during the freebies and station announcements made every ten minutes, but yeah the machines just said "out of service" on them so quite a few confused faces!
A lot of the smaller stops don't seem to have working PA systems.

The fact that Metrolink have fines of up to £100 for fare evasion would mean most people wouldn't want to board a tram without a ticket if they were unaware of the free travel.
Old 24th January 2010, 09:24

Every single station had multiple posters up advertising the free travel, including on the ticket machines.

The trams had posters in them for weeks in advance.

Metrolink web site had the details on it.

Local newspapers, television and radio had many reports on the free travel.

Regular announcments were made on the PA on every station.

What additionally could have been done to let the public know about the free travel?
Old 24th January 2010, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester Kurt View Post
Every single station had multiple posters up advertising the free travel, including on the ticket machines.

The trams had posters in them for weeks in advance.

Metrolink web site had the details on it.

Local newspapers, television and radio had many reports on the free travel.

Regular announcments were made on the PA on every station.

What additionally could have been done to let the public know about the free travel?
If that was the case it was only done for the second free travel day after confusion during the first free travel day.

On the free Saturday travel day I did:
Altrincham-Cornbrook-Harbour City
Harbour City-Piccadilly Gardens
Market Street-Piccadilly
Piccadilly-Altrincham

The only stop I saw a notice at was Altrincham where a hand written sign by the ticket office staff had been put up.

I was at Altrincham station for 40 minutes before getting the train back to Knutsford and there wasn't any PA annoucements by Metrolink. I was also at Harbour City and Cornbrook for more than 10 minutes and again there was no PA annoucements.

While waiting at Piccadilly someone asked me if I knew where they could get a ticket from as the ticket machines were out-of-order. I tried to explain to them it was a free travel day but they wouldn't believe me without first asking staff. I looked around for a poster explaining the free travel at Piccadilly and there wasn't one.

The Metrolink website and local media did report it for the Saturday but that was it.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:18

To be fair it wasn't very well done.

I didn't see anything in the newspaper, or on TV / radio. I saw it on their website but many would not have done so. There was no posters or ads. The new ticket machines on Piccadilly Gardens had a tiny sticker most people missed.

I had to explain to a large number of people on both days about the free travel. Indeed some people tend not to believe or get confused.

The station announcements DID seem to work on most stations I visted however.
Old 26th January 2010, 16:59

Think you have totally forgotten the reason for these free days.

It was to say thanks to REGULAR travellers who had been so inconvienienced over the summer, not to over crowd the trams with people who rarely travel on Metrolink.

Those people who had been inconvienced have no one but themselves to blame I'm afraid if they were not aware of the free travel that was repeated reported on Key 103, Smooth and Centuary along with in the MEN on several occassions, on BBC North West Tonight and on Granada Reports.

So the occassional user may not have seen any of the high level of adverts, the free travel was not aimed at saying thanks to them.

Those who travel on the trams regularly would have seen the numerous signs on platforms and trams for the fortnight leading up the the free travel.

I'm sorry, but if people pay no attention to the local media and walk around with their eyes shut it's their own fault when they do not realise something is happening locally.

The MEN for example carried four seperate articles on the free travel......

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...._of_free_trams

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....freetravel_day

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ams_freeforall

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ram_travellers

Last edited by Manchester Kurt; 26th January 2010 at 17:11.