07:21

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Blackpool trams

Old 18th February 2011, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
If the old Balloons go it will be a great shame and Blackpool will not be the same without them.

ccmmick.
yeah but dont forget what people are experincing now is what people experienced 70 years ago when these ballon trams first came into service

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 16th October 2011, 15:56

During 2011, a number of Balloon and Millennium class trams were modernised so that they could operate after the £100m refurbishment of the whole tramway. New widened doorways have been fitted, with driver operated doors which fit to the new platforms which have been built at tram stops for the new Flexity 2 trams. This means they are also now have level access for disabled passengers. Fixed seats and a new passenger information display has also been fitted to match the new trams. Speedometers have also been retrofitted to the driving console
Old 29th February 2012, 22:31

Thanks for the links. I like the old trams a lot but to be honest the future ones look nicer and greener. I hope I don't upset anybody, it is just my view. This is the 21st century and these trams would make journey times smaller and make it more comfy for passengers.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt2345 View Post
Thanks for the links. I like the old trams a lot but to be honest the future ones look nicer and greener. I hope I don't upset anybody, it is just my view. This is the 21st century and these trams would make journey times smaller and make it more comfy for passengers.
Remember, you are entitled to your views. I am a strong believer in expressing one's views, I certainly do not pussy-foot around worried I might offend somebody! I am not a bad person (if you meet me, you will see this) I just believe in 'saying it like it is'

Anyway, back on topic! - I must admit I'm looking forward to riding on the Flexities. Although given the choice, I'd rather ride the old'uns!
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of
Old 5th April 2012, 07:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17607881

Didn't get the new service going too well.

What they failed to mention in the article was that before the first service run derailed the heating packed in (at 5am on a chilly April morning), the automated display and passenger announcements packed in, the bells to press to get off the tram stop working and the tram had to stop four times for debris to be removed from the track.
Old 26th July 2012, 07:39

I have very fond memories of the Blackpool trams. My dad took me when I was 12 in 1983 to see the trams. Because I lived in Scotland they were a real novelty as I'd never travelled on one before. One of the things I loved about them at that time was the variety of different types. Its sad that they are being replaced my more modern types. It would be good if they could keep some of the older types to run services alongside the newer ones.
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86217Comet View Post
I have very fond memories of the Blackpool trams. My dad took me when I was 12 in 1983 to see the trams. Because I lived in Scotland they were a real novelty as I'd never travelled on one before. One of the things I loved about them at that time was the variety of different types. Its sad that they are being replaced my more modern types. It would be good if they could keep some of the older types to run services alongside the newer ones.
I could see these are your beautiful memories of old days. Bringing back old trams, and they will not only serve as means of transportation, but also tourist attractions.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:40

Just the job these new units

Just back from Blackpool photographing the new trams, they are certainly the business quite, smooth and stylish. We will all have a soft spot for the old trams, but time moves on and in years to come people will look at these new units and say the are vintage.
Old 27th August 2012, 09:02

I have to admit, that they are quite a smart vehicle, and as you say they will be tomorrows vintage stock. I do like new as well as old things. I said at the start of this thread, that i was seeing the end of an era. For myself, I did not like the splitting up of a working museum; one of the things people came to the town to see.
I am pleased that this thread generated such interest and comment.
mickey