09:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

BR Dmu"s,blue and grey...

Old 14th October 2010, 12:26

Actually i think there is a departmental 101 in NR yellow out there.

Old 14th October 2010, 19:11

10 years ago now (summer 2000) we went on a 101 dmu out of Glasgow Central to a suburban destination and very soon after that they were withdrawn. If I remember right, they were painted in that rather unimaginative all-over darkish blue colour. Personally I don't have very positive memories of them - noisy, poor performance and stank of diesel fumes - but they're very much part of our railway heritage now.
Old 16th October 2010, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Actually i think there is a departmental 101 in NR yellow out there.
There was, it was Lab 19 - Iris 2.

http://www.traintesting.com/iris1&2.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
10 years ago now (summer 2000) we went on a 101 dmu out of Glasgow Central to a suburban destination and very soon after that they were withdrawn. If I remember right, they were painted in that rather unimaginative all-over darkish blue colour. Personally I don't have very positive memories of them - noisy, poor performance and stank of diesel fumes - but they're very much part of our railway heritage now.
Most were Regional Railways livery wih Scotrail Branding, bu atleast one was orange and black (strathclyde PTE livery) and one was in an all over 'caledonian' blue livery.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~rob.coll...piccadilly.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastarial/2767172901/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:101692_at_Arley.JPG

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 20th October 2010, 03:40

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
There was, it was Lab 19 - Iris 2.

http://www.traintesting.com/iris1&2.htm

Most were Regional Railways livery wih Scotrail Branding, bu atleast one was orange and black (strathclyde PTE livery) and one was in an all over 'caledonian' blue livery.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~rob.coll...piccadilly.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastarial/2767172901/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:101692_at_Arley.JPG
Cheers for your information and pics
Old 20th October 2010, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I was lucky to witness the final 101s in use in cheshire, which was one of the last locations if not the last to use them. Still miss them. Old they were getting by railway standards, but by comparison to the 142 rubbish that replaced them they were wonderful. Some were painted in BR green, but Im not too sure about blue and grey.

Wish they were still here.
The class 101 units which operated from Chester TMD were certainly blue/grey, and some cars, reallocated from Scotland, carried the orange/black Strathclyde livery, some full units, some as hybrids:-
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/p44654411.html
Old 22nd October 2010, 02:45

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
The class 101 units which operated from Chester TMD were certainly blue/grey, and some cars, reallocated from Scotland, carried the orange/black Strathclyde livery, some full units, some as hybrids:-
http://daverowland.fotopic.net/p44654411.html
Super pictures Dave!! miss all the old trains at chester!! they were the good days.......
Old 22nd October 2010, 04:12

Now you have got me thinking - back in the times of BR blue, DMUs were blue and the main line Mk II coaches were blue and grey.

Anybody remember the discussion and dis-approval when BR started putting blue and grey on DMUs? The feeling was that blue and grey was appropriate for main line but not for the rocking and rolling of a DMU. If I remember it was the Trans-Pennines sets that first got the blue and grey.

I will look up my Railway Worlds to find out if I can find some of the discussion.
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxokid View Post
Super pictures Dave!! miss all the old trains at chester!! they were the good days.......
Thanks mate! As I recall, when the first generation Chester DMUs were being replaced by 150/0, 150/1 & 156 class units, most of the old units were put into store at Chester TMD; invariably the new units had considerable running-in problems, and a good many trains were cancelled. As the old units had just been left in the open, they weren't operable, and bus replacement services were often the order of the day. Although I live on the south coast, i regularly visited friends in Wrexham, usually travelling via Crewe & Chester; the problems that arose caused me untold headaches - after ringing up my mate (6 miles out of Wrexham, no bus service), I'd tell him what time the train was due to arrive at Wrexham, he'd dash off to the station to pick me up, and I'd arrive an hour later than planned - on a bus. And no mobile phones then....
I do remember writing down train numbers at Chester in the late 80s, and asked a youngish chap if he'd got the numbers of an old DMU that had just left. "No, I don't bother with them" he replied. "Why not?" says I. "Well, they're not going to be around for long, so it's not worth it" he says. Hmmmm. By the same reasoning, was it worth noting the numbers of class 20, 25, 26, 27, 31, 33, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50, 52, 55, 56, 60, 73, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 90, .... if you see what I mean?

Last edited by Dave Rowland; 22nd October 2010 at 08:02. Reason: typo
Old 24th October 2010, 03:45

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
Thanks mate! As I recall, when the first generation Chester DMUs were being replaced by 150/0, 150/1 & 156 class units, most of the old units were put into store at Chester TMD; invariably the new units had considerable running-in problems, and a good many trains were cancelled. As the old units had just been left in the open, they weren't operable, and bus replacement services were often the order of the day. Although I live on the south coast, i regularly visited friends in Wrexham, usually travelling via Crewe & Chester; the problems that arose caused me untold headaches - after ringing up my mate (6 miles out of Wrexham, no bus service), I'd tell him what time the train was due to arrive at Wrexham, he'd dash off to the station to pick me up, and I'd arrive an hour later than planned - on a bus. And no mobile phones then....
I do remember writing down train numbers at Chester in the late 80s, and asked a youngish chap if he'd got the numbers of an old DMU that had just left. "No, I don't bother with them" he replied. "Why not?" says I. "Well, they're not going to be around for long, so it's not worth it" he says. Hmmmm. By the same reasoning, was it worth noting the numbers of class 20, 25, 26, 27, 31, 33, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 50, 52, 55, 56, 60, 73, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 90, .... if you see what I mean?
yer very true........
Old 24th October 2010, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasane View Post
Now you have got me thinking - back in the times of BR blue, DMUs were blue and the main line Mk II coaches were blue and grey.

Anybody remember the discussion and dis-approval when BR started putting blue and grey on DMUs? The feeling was that blue and grey was appropriate for main line but not for the rocking and rolling of a DMU. If I remember it was the Trans-Pennines sets that first got the blue and grey.

I will look up my Railway Worlds to find out if I can find some of the discussion.
miss the old blue and grey dmu days!! only time i go back to those days is when i go upto Llangollen for the Dmu weekends.........