20:01

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Light Rail and Metros

Manchester Metro Link Extension

Old 26th May 2010, 15:31

Manchester Metro Link Extension

Yesterday i took a walk down tot he other end of Fairfeild St to see what was beyond there I noticed that there was some raiol being laid right the way up the hill and to an under pass.

So is this part of the Airport Extesion or is it part of the Oldham Loop Line Conversion / Extension.

Old 26th May 2010, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
Yesterday i took a walk down tot he other end of Fairfeild St to see what was beyond there I noticed that there was some raiol being laid right the way up the hill and to an under pass.

So is this part of the Airport Extesion or is it part of the Oldham Loop Line Conversion / Extension.
Neither John its the line to Eastlands(SportsCity) then Droyslden, which will be extended to Ashton-Under-Lyne.

Cheers John
Old 26th May 2010, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB-245584/2 View Post
Neither John its the line to Eastlands(SportsCity) then Droyslden, which will be extended to Ashton-Under-Lyne.

Cheers John
Ah right, I seem to be under the impresion and from memory rember that Trains once ran this way many years ago.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:02
Registered Member

I have a feeling they did too mate...are we right anyone ??

Old 28th May 2010, 07:20

There are half hourly services from Manchester Victoria to Ashton Under Lyne and then on to Stalybridge, but this is not the route the Metrolink will take.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 12th September 2010, 22:15

was bit bored today,so as its sunday with nothing much to do-i thought i would go to altrincham on the tram,as i use the tram to victoria regularly ive noticed the poles going up on smedley viaduct ready for the wires,at an alarming rate it seems,also some of the track,anyway was going past old trafford,the line curves away ready for the new line to chorlton,and a big metrolink depot nearly built,with new trams stabled along side it,its amazed me how quick these lines and depot have been built,[well done metrolink]was on my driving test in failsworth last week[which i passed]and passed failsworth station,theres a new bridge and lifts installed already,anyway as i got to altrincham-which is a lovely town,seemed to be shut,few shops open and a few shoppers about,so returned to manchester on metrolink and got off at cornbrook,i then joined the canal which i walked along into manchester alongside the rail and tram lines,a lovely walk and ended up on oxford road,not far from the station,a good day out
Old 13th September 2010, 11:51

Drivers have been told the Mediacity spur opens on September 20th apparantly.
Old 13th September 2010, 17:22

Hi John-142,
Trains still run to Guide Bridge (South Ashton) from Piccadilli on the track to the South of Ashton Old Road. Trolley busses ran down Fairfield Street and Ashton Old Road to Ashton town centre.
Old 23rd October 2010, 21:46

new metrolink stop

trams arent running on the bury line today and tomorrow,this is due to a new stop being built at the abraham moss leisure centre/school,i think woodlands road is being closed due to low patronage and anti social behaviour,i worked at gmpte in 95 and remember seeing plans for the new stop as well as the new lines,its took 15 years but its all coming together now,talking of anti social behaviour,got the tram from shudehill yesterday at 7pm,a gang of thugs aged 16+ boarded without a ticket,luckily there were inspectors to challenge them and ask them to leave,they screamed and shouted abuse and kicked the windows and doors..no wonder the inspectors go around in groups[safety in numbers],i wanted to be a guard on the railways but looking back i wouldnt want to confront violent drunken people and ask for tickets,no wonder you never see a guard collecting tickets on a late night train say from-liverpool,blackpool to manchester,thats my experience anyway.
Old 28th May 2011, 19:57

Thumbs up

according to rail magazine-the new metrolink service,chorlton via trafford bar to victoria and central park could be running in july