18:37

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Class 140 - the pacer

Old 30th October 2017, 16:25

Class 140 - the pacer

By accident this video came into my Youtube feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucA5xIgjZBc

and as a foreigner I was very facinated by this rather special train. I needed to find out more about this and have reed up on Wikipedia.Can anyone recomend a good book about this special creature. I feel I need some sort of of modell as well. Both of the bus and the train. Im very facinated that this is litterary a railbus in all ways. Reading the comments I see a love/hate thing with them. Where they such a bus as it looks like?

Thanks so much for help witht his!

Old 3rd December 2017, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norchris View Post
By accident this video came into my Youtube feed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucA5xIgjZBc

and as a foreigner I was very facinated by this rather special train. I needed to find out more about this and have reed up on Wikipedia.Can anyone recomend a good book about this special creature. I feel I need some sort of of modell as well. Both of the bus and the train. Im very facinated that this is litterary a railbus in all ways. Reading the comments I see a love/hate thing with them. Where they such a bus as it looks like?

Thanks so much for help witht his!
Models of Leyland National buses are made by EFE. There are several variations of the design. See, for example:
http://www.bachmann.co.uk/exclusive.php

Class 140 was an early prototype train.
Class 141 came next, 20 units, all now withdrawn.
Class 142 was built with wider bodywork, but still using components as used on Leyland National buses.

Hornby used to make models (OO guage) of Class 142 Pacer trains, but I don't think they are currently being produced. You might find some 2nd hand models on somewhere like ebay.
Old 9th May 2019, 21:29

I was Rail Service Executive at Leyland when these were built. I led the team that looked after them in service.