18:21

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Events & Dates for your Diary

Steam and diesel shuttle weekends

Old 12th August 2011, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
Well even if they got the great green wonder fully operational I just couldn't afford to ride behind her
It is kinda pricey, with no senior concessions (grrrr); perhaps if I didn't have to pay to get from Portsmouth to York and back in the first place it might be worthwhile! I love the York NRM, although I haven't been there for many years, and I've not been to Shildon at all. Oh, then there's the cost of hotels....

Old 12th August 2011, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
It is kinda pricey, with no senior concessions (grrrr); perhaps if I didn't have to pay to get from Portsmouth to York and back in the first place it might be worthwhile! I love the York NRM, although I haven't been there for many years, and I've not been to Shildon at all. Oh, then there's the cost of hotels....
My problem is the money I am long term sickness unemployed and can't get many of the subsidies that apply as I may be able to return to work sometime
I too haven't been to Shildon ..yet
There are no disabled subsidies either so I would have to pay twice for a carer to come with me
Travel & accommodation would be no problem as we would use our old caravan on one of the York caravan club sites although the one I want is usually booked up 6 months in advance

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 12th August 2011, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
My problem is the money I am long term sickness unemployed and can't get many of the subsidies that apply as I may be able to return to work sometime.
I was in a similar position some time back, and was issued a bus pass because of my legs & sciatic problems; when I reached 60, the bus pass renewal was as a senior, rather than disabled. Now (fast approaching 62) I can't use my senior bus pass until after 9am in my own town (except at weekends) - I now suffer from angina, and if my bus pass was a disabled, as opposed to Senior card, I could use it any time. It's all an uphill struggle, but at least I'm on Pension Credit now, which is more money. I'll have to work on it....

Tags
locomotion, national railway museum, shuttles, steam