12:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Pendlebury Station.

Old 27th September 2012, 19:48

Nice picture. What's the line that bisects the picture halfway up? I assume that's either the start of the A580/A6 running up the right side of the picture.

Old 11th November 2012, 22:45

Talking

Hi, I'm new to this site, just stumbled upon this thread whilst researching the local history of Pendlebury I'm amazed at how long this thread has been active, it's such an interesting topic, I live just off Hospital Road, so I'm always keen to find out more about the area.

Anyway, I have cut some stills from Dimbleby's A Picture of Britain, which show artist LS Lowry leaving Pendlebury Station, which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...pendlbury.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...pendlbury.jpg/

I would very much like to see the images that have been taken of Pendlebury station from the bridge on Ethel Avenue, as the links posted I think have expired, if anyone can help I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks...
Old 12th November 2012, 20:19

Hello Jon,
Have looked at the attached photos, they brought back a few memories especially the shot of LS Lowery standing in Hope Street with the Acme Mill in the background. The view of all the chimneys and huge mill was not taken in Pendlebury, there were never so many chimneys in Pendlebury and the only mill was the Acme on Bridge Street. I think that it may have been in Pendleton taken from Broughton Road with Pendleton Broad Street station in the mid/foreground (the corrugated roof).