18:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Old 16th November 2008, 22:22

me too, I'd love to see them. Idiot that I am, I stopped spotting in the early 80s, just as the Deltics started Newcastle-Liverpool haulage and passed within a mile of my house.

Old 19th November 2008, 11:38

Ive made inquiries regarding transfering super 8 to dvd and as a struggliing oap cant afford to do it tho I met someone at the loughboro steam gala who gave me an idea how i can do it myself .He incidently had diven from bury st edmunds in a 1971 metro that he passed his test in and has kept it ever since it was immaculate bless him .
Old 19th November 2008, 19:09

For anyone too young to have heard a Deltic in full cry, you missed an unmistakable howl that could be heard for miles. In 1961 when the Deltics were first introduced I lived in Tollerton, ten miles North of York. It was the middle of a 20 odd mile flat, straight stretch, known as the "Racetrack". I could hear a Deltic coming South through Thirsk, about 20 miles away, enough time to leave home and get down to the station in time to see it tear through! They looked magnificent on the front of a train of Pullman coaches; "Tyne Tees Pullman"," Heart of Midlothian" etc. I believe that they are speed limited now which is a great shame but it is understandable now that they no longer have Doncaster "Plant" as backup.
Old 19th November 2008, 19:15

Hi MeurglysIII, I always thought that Newcastle - Liverpool trains were in charge of "Peaks" not "Deltics". I see you live in Golborne? I lived there for 12 years - I taught in Wigan, it is much warmer here in Devon!
Old 19th November 2008, 21:45

Hi Tony, small world ain't it?! Which school did you teach at? Deanery? Do you remember the colliery & goods yard at Golborne, maybe even the station? (which there is a slight chance of being re-instated if the Manchester congestion charge goes through)

Whereabouts in Golborne did you live? we are near the high school. And what time period?

Sorry for all the questions, you just surprised me!

All the best
Pete

(Deltics did appear on transpennine trains in the early 80s by the way, although maybe Liverpool-York services, there's a great article in Traction magazine about a Liverpool spotter of the time & his memories of Deltic haulage from Lime Street to Rainhill or St Helens Junction!!) Also there's a pic on here by Swisstrains, taken at Parkside:

http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...=500&ppuser=40
Old 19th November 2008, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
..............I always thought that Newcastle - Liverpool trains were in charge of "Peaks" not "Deltics".................
I've just put two more Deltic related photos in the gallery.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:30

Hi John and MeurglysIII; Great pics, so Deltics did work the Liverpool trains!
I lived in Golborne until 2002, Halewood avenue; moved to Blackpool, then devon. Taught at St Peters' , Fred Longworth and Pemberton High. Did most of my spotting at Lowton.
Old 23rd November 2008, 13:52

Hi Tony

Yes, I know Halewood Avenue. I presume if you spotted at Lowton you mean the transpennine route through Croft & Kenyon, can't think of any other lines that would have still existed then, apart from the WCML of course. These days I only go out to see charter trains, the current traction doesn't appeal too much - although I do like the class 57s & 60s.

I miss the days when we got classes 24, 25, 40, 47, 56, 81-7.... and on the transpennine route 45s & 46s.....
Old 24th November 2008, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
For anyone too young to have heard a Deltic in full cry, you missed an unmistakable howl that could be heard for miles. In 1961 when the Deltics were first introduced I lived in Tollerton, ten miles North of York. It was the middle of a 20 odd mile flat, straight stretch, known as the "Racetrack". I could hear a Deltic coming South through Thirsk, about 20 miles away, enough time to leave home and get down to the station in time to see it tear through! They looked magnificent on the front of a train of Pullman coaches; "Tyne Tees Pullman"," Heart of Midlothian" etc. I believe that they are speed limited now which is a great shame but it is understandable now that they no longer have Doncaster "Plant" as backup.
That noise was the reason I got back into trainspotting.
I had given it up at the end of steam, and in 1974 was persuaded to go to Grantham for the day with a friend.
I could not believe that "noise". I stood at the north end of the station, where I had stood to watch A4's leave in 1957, and was enthralled by this beast 55001 "St Paddy" pulling away from the platform end. I dont mind admitting I was smitten, and a little annoyed because I had "cut my nose off to spite my face" by refusing to accept the changes that had to come to our railway system.
I was at Retford on the day of the last run by a Deltic and never thought I would see one on the main line again.
Lo and behold, fast forward a few years and I am train manager and organiser of a steam special from Crewe to Carlisle and back over the WCML and S&C. What was pulling a railtour over the same route but a preserved Deltic. What a sight.
It passed us at Preston, and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.
This from a 100% lover of steam.
They where, and are, a special loco. If anything had the right to replace Gresleys finest, it was these locos.
Paul.
Old 24th November 2008, 20:32
Station Manager

For a bit of unmistakable howl and an animated view of Deltic pistons go to
http://www.wis.co.uk/justin/deltic-engine.html
and click on the view of the pistons.