03:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 27th February 2006, 18:48
Station Manager

Trev,
you said, and I quote:-
Right, I've emulsion-ed the ceiling, the walls will be done tomorrow and Sunday, so I'm hoping to get some track down on Monday. Fingers crossed. The missus has helpfully bought some new curtain rail to put up, (not flat bottomed), but that's only a ten minute job at the most, so that shouldn't eat into Monday's planned start too much. It was definitely a mistake taking her to B&Q.

This was posted on 17/02/06, How come you still have not started? Even I can put up a new curtain rail in less time.
Syd.

Old 27th February 2006, 19:00
Station Manager

John,
Thanks for the names for the layout, Can't use Bedminster as I live in Greenbank (wrong side of the river), I am about 50 yds from the old Midland track, now a cycle path. I have now chosen the name of 'Cripple Siding' for my layout, because when I run trains I have to change the points by hand in the shunt yard. The name came from Trev and a small brass plate will be made with the layout name 'Cripple Siding' and Trev's name on it. It will also have the Railway Forum's name on it.
Syd
Old 27th February 2006, 21:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
The name came from Trev and a small brass plate will be made with the layout name 'Cripple Siding' and Trev's name on it. It will also have the Railway Forum's name on it.
Syd
Good choice Syd and a nice gesture

Sorry about Bedminster.....I forgot that it was a real place
John
Old 27th February 2006, 21:43

Trev's idea of basing his layout around a preserved line made me think of my last British N-scale layout before I was converted to Swiss railways.
My layout had a Britsh Rail mainline leading to a terminus station (Trixham) and a Preserved Railway centre with a short running track. I have put a few photos of the layout (taken in 1991) in my gallery if anyone is interested.

John
Old 27th February 2006, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
message for Trev :
How are you going to attach your track to the polystyrene tiles?
PVA glue.

Sydcombe sounds like a good name.
Old 27th February 2006, 23:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains
My layout had a Britsh Rail mainline leading to a terminus station (Trixham) and a Preserved Railway centre with a short running track. I have put a few photos of the layout (taken in 1991) in my gallery if anyone is interested.
Very impressive, and very inspiring as well John. There are a couple of features in your photos which I would have overlooked including on my own layout. But not anymore! Thanks!!!
Old 28th February 2006, 00:44
Station Manager

Great layout John, it just goes to show what can be done in 'N' gauge. Remembering that there was not that much in 'N' gauge in the shops back in 1991 so a lot had to be scratch made. Well modeled
Syd
Old 28th February 2006, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
PVA glue.
PVA must be one of the best things ever invented for modellers
I have also used the ordinary (non-solvent) NO MORE NAILS on polystyrene without any ill effects but it is a bit messier than PVA.
John
Old 28th February 2006, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
How come you still have not started? Even I can put up a new curtain rail in less time.
I know, I know. But I had to go back to work, the decorating took a lot longer than expected (looks good though, I'm quite pleased!), and we have taken the opportunity to have a major furniture rethink. However, everything is almost finished now, and the missus is pleased with the result, so it's fingers crossed for a start to be made on Sunday, which is my next day off.

It's all my own fault really, I spent my fortnights holiday slumped on the settee drinking beer and watching re-runs of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

And thanks for naming your layout from one of my suggestions! It's really nice!
Old 7th March 2006, 20:59
Station Manager

Trev,
Please note the name on the new photos of the layout, everyone I have told around here thinks it was the best name. So I know that we have chosen well. I will get a name plate made up when I can find some one to do it for me.
Syd