12:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

shed codes

Old 1st November 2015, 23:32

Just been looking at that database. Very good indeed.

Old 8th November 2015, 18:43

A few points about the Crostis. The secondary "Boiler" was removed at rebuilding. Not all ended up on the Wirral (Birkenhead) - some went to Speke Jct (Liverpool). Although it seems generally agreed that an ex-crosti was 8F, my memory tells me that "9F" was displayed on the cabside.

An interesting measure of power was the number of 88-ton gross iron ore wagons that various types were allowed on the Biston Dock - Shotton steelworks trains. 8Fs, ex-crosti "9Fs", English Electric Type 4s (Class 40) and pairs of Sulzer Type 2s (Class 24) were allowed 10 wagons and 9Fs and Brush Type 4s (Class 47) were allowed 11. At least once a 9F took 13 - a gross load of around 1160 tons. These wagons were unbraked so half the battle was to stop them once over the summit.
Old 8th November 2015, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crab View Post
At least once a 9F took 13 - a gross load of around 1160 tons. These wagons were unbraked so half the battle was to stop them once over the summit.
To me, that was a real skill, controlling unfitted wagon loads.
Old 14th November 2015, 20:24

Cheers Crab very informative.

Been trying to work out which sheds would have provided locomotives from the north passing through Leicester. With my limited amount of books I am having to look on the net but a complete list is hard to come by. Obviously kentish town provided from London. But from Manchester Sheffield and even york plus lundidno (hopefully spelt correctly but probably not) I can't seem to pin down which sheds provide the locos by the web. I can find shed codes but can't be sure which ones would have provided MML.
Old 14th November 2015, 21:15

Information I have managed to get so far
Lundidno is 6G

Manchester is 9A or could be 13A

Sheffield is 19C

York is 50A (NE)

Why am I asking this.. I have a book called Operation Midland-train services and carriage working.
Which helps build a passenger train passenger service(for a modeler) but the Loco is not mentioned so I am trying to make a educated guess with your help hopefully. Fright and local services are for another day though London to Leicester is classed as local.
Old 15th November 2015, 10:33

Taken from my Ian Allan British Locomotive Shed Directory 13th Edition 1965:
6G Llandudno Junction.
9A Longsight
9B Stockport(Edgeley) Then in Cheshire.
9C Reddish,with sub sheds at Dinting and Guide Bridge.
9D Newton Heath.
9E Trafford Park
9F Heaton Mersey
9G Gorton
9H Patricroft
9J Agecroft........................One mile from where I lived.Used to be 26B.
All could be classed as Mancgester(ish) sheds.
I was a regular visitor to most of them.

In 1965 shed codes 13 were not listed nor were 19 codes.
Sheffield (Darnall) is listed as 41B as a diesal depot.
York remains as 50A North Shed
Stuart

Last edited by D.O.G.F.A.N.; 15th November 2015 at 10:39.
Old 15th November 2015, 11:54

Thank you. Right so if I try and get this right if a train is set to start at a station ignoring visiting locos (day befores opposite direction) and I say for ease train is to leave Leicester (15c) it could just as likely be a 15a/b/d etc.
I presume that a engine from Leicester central would not have been used. Or the ex GN&LNWR shed for that matter. This is where I was getting a bit confused if I pick a express from X which gose to or passess though leicester I then a look at the sheds it could come from and ends up with X a b c d etc!

I can obviously find a train list for a shed BRDaterbase
And I know it's pretty much a given its a Jubilee on the Midland mainline for the time period of 1950/60. Though pats/scots where making there presents now to the end of the decade.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:05

I can't find a way of finding which loco did what so I am going to just go down a list (BR daterbase) and pick a names I like very easy to do with jubilees lots of interesting names to pick from. But I am trying to keep it as authentic as possible so picking from the right list is what am trying to find.
Old 17th November 2015, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by farren View Post
thank you for your repliers, what I supposes I was trying to say was the workings of the railway so I can try to improve the loco stud for 15C,(wishing to model 1950to55) I have looked up the BR database and the allocation to LEICESTER was Jinty's 8F's Black5, Compound's 2P's 3F's and 4F's also with the odd 2-6-4t and the high light 4-4-2t tilbury tank. come 1954/5, 5X2MT 2-6-0 and 1 5MT 4-6-0 turn up. I Know jubilees with the odd scot/pat would have past thought Leicester but would not have gone on to the MPD. so was trying to open up the stud well still being realistic. would things like Garratts and Supper D from Wellingborough have stay at Leicester or would they Always have work Back to they Home shed.

take a Garratt working a London empty coal train to Leicester coal fields would she then just have gone to Leicester MPD to return the next day to pick a full train up, or have gone the exter 15/20 miels to the home shed of Wellingborough

OR should I Fall back to the old Line and just say it's may layout.
Sorry for not spotting your post earlier. If you went on a "shed bash" in steam days, at almost every depot you would find a few locos belonging to other sheds, so almost anything is possible - provided a loco was not too big / heavy to enter the shed yard. Moreover, overnight "lodging turns" were much more common for steam crews (with or without their locos.) in that era.
Old 18th November 2015, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by farren View Post
Cheers Crab very informative.

Been trying to work out which sheds would have provided locomotives from the north passing through Leicester. With my limited amount of books I am having to look on the net but a complete list is hard to come by. Obviously kentish town provided from London.
Not forgetting dear old Cricklewood.