22:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Pendo first class.

Old 19th June 2014, 08:43

Smile Pendo first class.

On radio 5 this morning, the transport Minister stated that Viigin trains have had their franchise extended until March 2017, i think Virgin are a competent company, but i still believe that railways should be nationalised, as should, water, gas, and electric services.
The minister also stated that Virgin rail will convert one first class carriage to standard class on the Pendolino sets, i agree with this move.

Old 24th August 2014, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
On radio 5 this morning, the transport Minister stated that Viigin trains have had their franchise extended until March 2017, i think Virgin are a competent company, but i still believe that railways should be nationalised, as should, water, gas, and electric services.
The minister also stated that Virgin rail will convert one first class carriage to standard class on the Pendolino sets, i agree with this move.
It's 1 FC coach on the 9 coach Pendos to be converted.

It's a cover up for not converting all the 390's to 11 coaches.

It's infuriating to see a 390/0 rammed full then seeing a 390/1 going the other way half empty.
Old 25th August 2014, 12:30

Hi Windermere,
Don't worry, the government will soon legislate that once a train has the requisite number of passengers, the excess will be directed onto the next available train, even if it is going in the opposite direction !

Regards, Tony.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windermere View Post
It's infuriating to see a 390/0 rammed full then seeing a 390/1 going the other way half empty.
If it's half full, that's pretty good going. Down here many 'wrong-direction rush hour' trains only have a handful of pax in them.

Actually I get harrangued about this regularly by passengers.

My answer is that until they perfect teleporting, once a train has gone from A to B, it can't do it again until it's travelled back from B to A - so you're bound to see lots of trains passing you the other way.

And you might ask why doesn't the train rush back ECS from B to A ? Well often it's because the timetable is laid down in the franchise agreement so the TOC doesn't have the right to alter it.

HTH

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 27th August 2014 at 11:47.
Old 17th October 2014, 01:37

First class now vs br first class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
On radio 5 this morning, the transport Minister stated that Viigin trains have had their franchise extended until March 2017, i think Virgin are a competent company, but i still believe that railways should be nationalised.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that under BR food and drink was only served at your seat in first class on Pullman services ( of which there were only a few on each route per day.) Even then correct me If I'm wrong I believe you had to pay for it.
Old 21st October 2014, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that under BR food and drink was only served at your seat in first class on Pullman services ( of which there were only a few on each route per day.) Even then correct me If I'm wrong I believe you had to pay for it.
Yes this was my recollection of how it worked too. I think I only travelled once on a Pullman: the Brighton Belle. It was most uncomfortable too but a great experience now long passed into history.

And yes, you did have to pay for food/drink. It rather put me off as a not-rich youngster that you felt rather intimidated into buying something. I don't know why I remember these things but I ordered a can of "Blue Bass" and it cost 2/7d. I only had 2 half-crowns on me and the steward got quite steamed up trying to find change. After ranting and raving "I can't do it, mate" he decided to let me have it for 2/6d.
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:41

That was very generous of him ianrail! Got a whole penny off. I do remember some of the staff under nationalization were very rude and not at all helpful. Especially in the buffet car. Some on the other hand were very helpful. However it was usual to feel they were doing you a favor and not a service!
It was costly as most folk could not afford the high prices of first class food!
Cheers
Phil
Old 31st October 2014, 07:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
I think I only travelled once on a Pullman: the Brighton Belle. It was most uncomfortable too but a great experience now long passed into history.
And there's an attempt being made to restore it...see link here Brighton Belle, so maybe one day if you really want to you can revisit that discomfort.

Hopefully they will be using more modern 'customer service' skills this time round

BW
Old 31st October 2014, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
And there's an attempt being made to restore it...see link here Brighton Belle, so maybe one day if you really want to you can revisit that discomfort.

Hopefully they will be using more modern 'customer service' skills this time round

BW
The work is being done at Ramparts premises at Barrow Hill Engine Shed
this was March 2013 http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...imageuser=5050

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643