20:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Children injured as bus crashes (BBC News)

Old 11th December 2009, 13:03

Children injured as bus crashes (BBC News)

A double-decker bus carrying children on a school trip hits a railway bridge in Leicester, leaving 10 youngsters injured.

More from BBC News...

Old 11th December 2009, 23:53

WHY did it happen from a so-called Professional driver? Will there be the same amount of questions as a Train derailment/crash, or whatever? I know the difference from a car to a van/lorry, for crying out loud, so why Not a bus driver for the difference from a single to a double-decker bus?

Train drivers have to know their routes, and the same SHOULD apply to bus drivers for both single and double deckers. NO excuses.
Old 12th December 2009, 08:03

Agree totally with Bramleyman. Any professional driver worth his or her salt ought to be aware of the dimensions of the vehicle they are driving and whether or not it will fit the space ahead (width, length or height) and that's even more vital if it's a road they don't know.

In my view, any bus or HGV driver who falls down on this basic rule should lose their licence for good.
Old 12th December 2009, 19:15

According to the Bus company the bus shouldn't have even been on that route!
Old 12th December 2009, 19:46

As I read it, this was a school trip to a museum in Leicester so there wouldn't actually be a fixed route as such. That means that there would ber even more responsibility on the driver to take extra care and, particularly as it was a double decker, to ensure that the selected route was suitable for the vehicle he was driving.
Old 12th December 2009, 20:05

As far as i understand bus and lorry drivers have there routes set out for them for there journey, but we all cock up at times.

The same thing happened in Par a school bus going to Fowey went under the bridge the driver forgot he was driving a double deck bus the bus was empty going to pick up the kids.

The iron bridge on the A30 Roche Cornwall has been hit so many times i have lost count and it is still standing there are warning signs about a mile either end of the bridge and if a lorrry is to high for the bridge the signs will flash and divert the lorry around another route.

ccmmick.

Old 12th December 2009, 20:54
Station Manager

When I drove buses in Bristol, every bus had its height and width printed or painted in the cab. Normally just above the windscreen but sometimes on the dash board. Every low bridge in the country has its height given on it. Sorry Mr bus driver, you fail.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:03

People who 'cock up' with a busload of kids shouldn't be driving. Surely a driver has to realise that he/she is responsible for a great number of young lives, and should not just drive into a low bridge? A young lady friend of mine was killed on her bicycle at a roundabout a couple of years ago, because the bus driver was paying more attention to getting into the flow of traffic than noticing a cyclist. Train drivers have to take stringent tests & exams before being allowed to drive a train, yet almost anyone who's ever driven can just get a job as a bus driver, and take out a large bus almost immediately. Many I've encountered personally have not been able to speak or understand more than a few basic words of English; one has to wonder whether such drivers can actually read traffic signs? I haven't heard any details of the driver; why, I wonder?
Old 13th December 2009, 11:52

I totally agree with you both bus and lorry drivers must take more care but like i say we all make mistakes no more than me as a ex train driver we are not robots we are human beings.
I know it is sad when things happen like this but you will never stop accidents be it rail road sea or air i ride a Harley and i am high risk i am a lot older and consider myself a good safe rider i look and see danger but that dosn't stop me getting wiped out god forbid.

ccmmick.