21:35

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

EWS in France

Old 5th November 2005, 09:39

EWS in France

Hi!

The EWSI french subsidiary Euro Cargo Rail film lines where it will operate this winter. The purpose is to train drivers.

French diesel BB 66000 at Gravelines between Dunkerque and Calais (see below).

Kind regards from France

Laurent

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/paul.charlier/gravelines.jpg

Old 5th November 2005, 18:48
Fat Controller

looks very powerfull.
Old 8th November 2005, 06:36

Are they using a SNCF Loco for Driver Training? I didn't think that SNCF would be very warm to that idea. I had heard that they were going to use Vossloh G1206 locos from Angel Train Cargo.
Old 8th November 2005, 12:36

Hi,

No, this SNCF locomotive had just permitted to film the line (you can distinguish the cameraman inside).
In first, this winter, EWSI will use MaK 1206 from ATC.
And when EMD class 66 is approved, these one will be able to run.

Laurent
Old 8th November 2005, 12:39

And RFF (infrastructure manager) ask to SNCF to realize this. So SNCF must permit access to other operators for training...

Laurent
Old 10th November 2005, 05:01

Yes, I understood that RFF have asked for it, what I was wondering is what was SNCF's reponse and what was the Unions response. I saw the reports of what happened when CFTA tried their test runs prior to beginning regular service.
I haven't heard of further problems but then again so far CFTA is operating just a very limited amount of services. What I am wondering about is what will happen when CFTA, TX Logistics, and EWSI manage to gain a significant market share, say in three or four years time. SNCF Fret's market share in France is falling fast
and the Unions are in denial that their constant strike actions are a significant, but not the only, part of the problem. What will happen when EWSI and others either have French workers who are not part of the big Railway Union or even worse do not employ Frenchmen, and start causing faster traffic and revenue losses at SNCF Fret? Even without the outsiders what is going to happen at SNCF Fret? It looks like it could collapse. A lot of employees and costs, and very little freight to haul and very little money coming in.

Last edited by Soo6617; 10th November 2005 at 05:06.
Old 15th November 2005, 18:05

Hello,

When EWSI ran this train to film lines, Unions were present and stopped it at the beginning.
I think they do neither understand the stake nor the risk to lose traffics and so market share. There are too many strikes and industrial companies would work with others operators like CFTA Cargo today and EWSI/ECR tomorow. When a big competitor like EWS begin to operate, perhaps Unions will react.
About SNCF missions for RFF, I think Infrastructure and regulation staff would leave the operator SNCF for the infrastructure manager named RFF.

Regards,

Laurent
Old 16th November 2005, 06:16

Thanks for the response. I was wondering what was happening in France. I know that there are more important problems right now.