13:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Question

Old 21st July 2007, 22:56
Station Manager

Question

What class of diesel was the last to run on BR in the old BR green please.
Syd

Old 22nd July 2007, 02:08

betwenn 20 and 40 I'd say...one of the Forties was famously in green for many years and was repinted so..probably never went Blue.....
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Maunsell View Post
betwenn 20 and 40 I'd say...one of the Forties was famously in green for many years and was repinted so..probably never went Blue.....
Syd,
This is the Class 40 that Arthur refers to....http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2929&cat=501
It was withdrawn from service in 1983. Rumour has it that 40106 was actually repainted into blue at Crewe Works in 1978 but they changed their mind and put it back into green before it ever left the workshops.
Another class 40 no.40122 was repainted from blue to greeen in 1983 to replace 40106 on special trains.
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:31
Station Manager

Thanks Guys,
Just knew one of you would come up with an answer. John, thank you for the photo as well. It's great to have you guys there to help me out with these question that I have. When it comes to British Railways, I'm still a just a learner.

P.S. I now have a black Weathered 04 0-6-0 diesel, a BR green 06 0-4-0 diesel and a BR green 08 0-6-0 in '00' to go with the Jinty and J94. East Somerset Railways model shop did well out of me today.
Syd
Old 23rd July 2007, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
P.S. I now have a black Weathered 04 0-6-0 diesel, a BR green 06 0-4-0 diesel and a BR green 08 0-6-0 in '00' to go with the Jinty and J94. East Somerset Railways model shop did well out of me today.
I can recommend the Bachmann Class 20 as well Syd. Another low power class, if that's the feel you're aiming for. And you can get it in green as well. An excellent slow runner.

Not another birthday present was it? Are you like the Queen with a couple of birthdays a year?
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:50

Syd,
I see from previous posts that you have obtained quite a bit of 00 stock for your new layout.
Have you started planning it yet?
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:26
Station Manager

Yes I am building up a good stock. I have managed to get a plan of 'The Avon Valley Railway', which I think will make an interesting project. It has the Avon River, a bridge over a main road, a housing estate, and some country. There are also the workshops, shunting yard and the station. It’s not too good for the larger locos, but then it is a preserved railway so I can run what I like on it. Still looking for a good 03 and waiting for the Clayton Class17 to come out. As you can tell, I like the smaller hard working locos, the un-sung heroes of the British Railways.
Syd
Old 28th July 2007, 23:16

Is it the Bachmann or the Hornby 08 that you have Syd? I'd be interested in comparing them. I have the Bachmann and think it's probably the best running OO model that I have.
Old 28th July 2007, 23:41
Station Manager

I have to agree with you there Trev, I have tried both the Hornby and the Bachmann, and the Bachmann knocks socks off the Hornby. The guy in the model shop allowed me to test them both on his oval test track which also has a siding. The Bachmann was better at slow speed and was very smooth over the points where as the Hornby was OK at low speed but was not that smooth over the points. A Class 20 is the next loco on my list unless I can find a Class 03 first.

John, I have posted a little map of the way my mind is working with regards a '00' layout. The line ran from Mangotsfield through Warmley, Bitton to Bath Green Park. It was double track at one time but is only single track now with a foot and cycle path running along side it now.
Syd
Old 29th July 2007, 00:16

You've had the same experience with the Bachmann 08 as me Syd.

You might have problems finding an 03 as I don't think Bachmann make it anymore. Both the 03 and 04 were very similar anyway, the 03 being built by BR and the 04 by Drewry. I think, unless anyone can correct me, that the only difference between the two classes was the shape of the chimmney. The last 04 in service was 2217, which I saw at Stratford...gave me bragging rights at school for weeks that did!