17:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Trust(TOPS)

Old 25th August 2010, 12:24
Registered Member

Trust(TOPS)

Well now, I did not know where to put this Question, so I will put it in this section and management can move it if required.

The BR system of TOPS, which we all know about has been changed so I understand to deal with the modern private railway and a system called TRUST or some similiar name is now operational.
So how does the new system compare with TOPS ?

Do all private companys input the new system ? Because TOPS was BR and as all rolling stock and "power" ie locos and units belonged to BR then they were added to the TOPS system.
But with the private run railway of today, it must mean that companys are not obliged to give any information to TRUST if they dont want to.

I will stand correcting on any comment in this thread because I dont know anything about the operational side of todays railway, I am just interested to find out about the successor to TOPS.

Last edited by 48111; 25th August 2010 at 12:26.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:52

I have a sketchy understanding of operating systems but before any Freightliner Train begins it's journey its details a 'TOPS List' have to be created and forwarded to Network Rail. We know this as 'powering up'. Without this consist information which includes Wagon & Loco details, train length, dangerous goods carried a Signaller will not accept a train for the commencement of it's journey. As far as 'TOPS' is concerned Freightliner use a system called 'ERIC' more useful to the type of traffic characteristics of the companies business. All freight trains running will be found on 'TRUST' which is how trains are recorded for running times, location and delay attribution etc.
Old 25th August 2010, 14:19
Registered Member

Thanks mate for that. my word how times change.

Old 25th August 2010, 19:43

I was always under the impression that TRUST and TOPS are somewhat seperate, but work together?

TOPS of course is a very dated system now, I would not be surprised to see it replaced entirely in the very near future.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
But with the private run railway of today, it must mean that companys are not obliged to give any information to TRUST if they dont want to.
Well if they want to run their trains on Network Rail metals they've got to tell them about the train and where it's going.

When a train starts its journey, the signaller enters its details into his workstation. Unless it's a very short notice booking, the pathing details will already have been agreed between the Operating Company and Network Rail, and loaded into the computer. As the train moves across different workstations (signalling areas) and signal boxes its details are automatically passed on.

From then onwards TRUST follows its progress across the network, comparing its timing with the times of its allocated pathway. If it runs late, and/or causes delays to other trains it will generate delay charges for its operator.

Anybody with access to TRUST (or P2) can enquire where the train is, and also see a log of its progress compared against its booked path, which shows whether it has hit its timing points early, on time, or late.

HTH

FP

Last edited by Flying Pig; 25th August 2010 at 21:19.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:33

TOPS still operates in the same way as it always has trainlists(TOPS) are still produced and the driver of a train is supplied with one for each journey.The TRUST system monitors train running and if you enter a train headcode in to the system it will tell you(In Realtime)the present location of the train and a complete "log" of that train from its starting location to its terminating location,plus passing point times.
Old 26th August 2010, 00:45

A tops sheet is usually sent out to the computor and sign on that requested the consist of a train.
If you are working at a distant location where there is no IT/Fax Machines the shunter has to give the driver a " Drivers Slip. "
This is a preprinted form where the load details can be written down so the driver knows exactly what is train consists of.
Dangerous Goods will be enumerated on the rear of this slip, along with the HAZCHEM details of the dangerous goods.
The shunter will contact his companies tops clerk, who will read out the loadings to the shunter so he has enough information to complete his DS.
If this is a train that has just been formed, the shunter will contact the tops clerk with the numbers of the trucks on this train, and the location and head code of the train EG 6M17 Stourton to Peak Forrest
This train will be unloaded as it is going back to PF.
The tops clerk will enter this train into the system and produce a tops sheet from this information
When M17 is ready to depart, the shunter will contact the Signal Box and inform the signalman that
6mike17 is ready for departure at L1213 signal .
When the train departs Stourton, the shunter will inform his tops clerk that 6M17 has left at 14:15hrs.
When speaking with York Power Box, you have to identify yourself to the signalman, and give him details of the train reporting number using the phonetic alphabet eg 6M17 = 6 MIKE 17 which is stood at Lima1213 signal.
These conversations with the SB's are recorded and you must use safety critical conversations with the box.
Once you have reported the train as ready to go, the signal man will pull off L1213 when he has the road. The shunter then informs TOPS of the departure time.
All communications with the power boxes are recorded, and if there is a mishap they are transcribed onto paper. The transcription can be many yards long.
I also have to examine the train for defects such as broken springs, pipes not properly connected, bottom doors not properly shut or safety catches not properly applied.
I the main thing is to make sure there are no handbrakes left on in the train and that the train is complete with a tail lamp.
Then I watch the train pass slowly infront of me to ensure there are no hand brakes left on or anything elese which may be wrong. This is called a roll by test, Then I give the Slip a stamp which has the words Train Examination Complete with my name onit.
If an incident happens with the train they know right away who prepared the train as you have signed the drivers slip and stamped it .
If I am performing safety critical work, eg shunting, train preparing or any other such task, my mobile is switched off so I have no distractions while I am doing these tasks.
If you make a mistake while performing SC work then the blame is all yours.
Likewise when on a public highway driving to a location the phone is also switched off as it is an offence in law to use a mobile phone whilst driving.

Last edited by HM181; 26th August 2010 at 08:55.
Old 26th August 2010, 06:17
Registered Member

My goodness, all this modern stuff, I love the railway it was my life, but I honestly do not think I could work on it now, it is all new and very very strange, I dont think I want to talk about it anymore, for a while, it is very depressing.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 26th August 2010, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
My goodness, all this modern stuff, I love the railway it was my life, but I honestly do not think I could work on it now, it is all new and very very strange, I dont think I want to talk about it anymore, for a while, it is very depressing.

Have a nice day everyone.

This is the transition from BR to a railway where time matters, and mistakes are not allowed.
For every mistake, there has to be a head to roll.
I have a set routine when dealing with trains, and I will not be side tracked when I am doing this job.
If a train wants a brake test, it gets one, if a truck in the middle of a 65SLU train wants knocking out, it happens
I use my experience of this type of work over the years, but I am open to new ideas.
Old 4th February 2012, 00:13

Is TRUST or TOPS (historic or live) available to watch/view/follow online, or is it a closed system??

And how does one get to know headcodes of trains? I'm wanting to run a proper timetable-accurate model of Tebay, but would not know how to find out the headcodes of the trains for the day. So far I've managed to piece them together from internet, forums, blogs, people tagging pics, and old copies of Freightmaster.

All help thankfully accepted!

Cheers