20:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Station computer systems

Old 10th August 2010, 13:04

Station computer systems

Hi there,

Just quick question, does anyone know the spefic name for the computer systems that can track progress of train services. I worked at Chester and we had a large electronic map showing where services were ad I just wondered whether these systems had specific names.

Also I wold be interested to know of any other systems at larger stations that are used for diagramming and routeing of train services? And any systems that station staff use to detect any delays/alternations to services as I remember we used a computer system that showed updates of train services wit diagram no, TOC, even whether it had catering or not . Would be great help to me as Iam interested in knowing if there are any other systems used at some of the larger stations on the network.

Old 11th August 2010, 11:40

TRUST is a system used by many.

As ever, Google is your friend.

But you could start here on the Scotrail page, it gives several systems...http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Trai...cation+Systems

My TOC uses P2, and there are PC terminals in most depots and stations to enable us to find lost & missing trains !!

Best wishes,

FP
Old 11th August 2010, 17:59

Thanks FP thats a great help, that link is good also explains the train coding as well. Good stuff
Old 11th August 2010, 20:53

Network Rail uses Gemini to track trains (DMU's, EMU's and Locos). I had a demo of it at Birmingham New Street NR office. If you want to know the whereabouts of any unit or loco it will tell you where it is and what service it is on currently. Pity it isn't available to the public. Any searches on line will only tell you about the programme author.
Old 12th August 2010, 12:17

Tony, at BHM is this in the office where the staff make alterations and announcements, so GEMINI shows them the progress of services and they can alter departure boards and announcements as to how late a train is for example. Also, do you know if they have contact with the signallers for finding out whether there will be platform alterations or is there a system for this?
Old 12th August 2010, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
..... do you know if they have contact with the signallers for finding out whether there will be platform alterations or is there a system for this?
On the Midland Mainline (as with most lines) some staffed stations have a 'hotline' to the relevant panel at the powerbox. Platform staff can talk directly to the signaller routing the trains through the station / into the sidings.

There is of course a list of scheduled trains/platforms, but alterations often have to be made.
Old 12th August 2010, 15:37

Hi David,
The Gemini terminal that I was shown was in the Network Rail office at the North end of New street station. It is the office where you get your platform pass as an enthusiast or contractor.