23:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

vendor kiosks on platforms

Old 30th November 2009, 12:30

vendor kiosks on platforms

I am interested in knowing whether it is normal to have various kiosks selling newspapers, refreshments etc. on the platforms.

Ideally, these should be usually located in the peripheral areas but not on the platforms, so as to allow the platform area exclusively for free and quick movement of passengers.

Old 30th November 2009, 16:12

Over the years Kiosks seem to have disappeared from the platforms around this area. I can remember several stations which used to have them, but these stations have mostly been rebuilt and retail facilities incorporated into the station buildings, I presume to improve security in the first instance, and to meet improved hygiene standards in the refreshment department.

Regards, 62440.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:59

Generally, it depends on the type of station. A terminal station without through running lines such as King's Cross, Euston etc. invariably has kiosks on the station concourse but those, particularly without barriers such as Crewe and York have them mainly on the platforms, as do smaller stations which have kiosks. But as 62440 says, kiosks generally do seem to be disappearing in favour of the larger retail outlets.
Old 1st December 2009, 03:47

kiosks on platforms

thanks to both for the information.

my view is that such kiosks need to be taken out of platform and accommodated in the concourse.

the purpose is two fold. first and foremost is to leave the platform place exclusively for the movement and waiting for the passengers. this is very important as platforms tend to be crowded particularly during peak hours and the kiosks, even if small, are an obstruction to passenger flow and they reduce the space available for passengers. secondly, also as rightly pointed out, from a hygiene and aesthetics points of view it is better to have them away from platforms.
Old 2nd December 2009, 21:17

This is an interesting topic. I have seen these koisks at Stockport and Manchester Airport, on the platforms. To get there you need to pass ticket inspectors, and makes me question just how often they are used, and would be better in the concourse area.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:04

there was a kiosk at manchester victoria behind platform 2,i worked there 05/06,it was also facing the manchester arena entrance,we could take up to a thousand on a good concert night,then ticket barriers were put in and no one knew we were there,was there on a 10 hour shift before its closure and i took 48 quid..would of happily worked there for free,even tho it was bitterly cold in winter..happy days.