09:19

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Freight and Passenger train driver's

Old 14th April 2010, 14:41

Unhappy Freight and Passenger train driver's

A question for some of you old freight train drivers.

I started at St Blazey depot then it was a mixed freight and passenger depot when privatisation took place i stayed with the freight side as passenger trains did not interest me at all.
Passenger train drivers always thought that they were far more superior to freight drivers i would always put my hand up when passing trains but some of the passenger drivers would just look straight ahead and when you walked into a mess room they would look at you like a piece of dirt.
We used to pilot Plymouth HST drivers to Newquay on Saturdays and i have driven them many of times a piece of p??? Just a glorified DMU, and i would love to see them coming down Luxulyan bank a 1 in 40 with 2000 ton freight train behind them i think that would sort the girls out from boys.
It’s quite funny really i now drive a home delivery van for Somerfield’s part time i always put my hand up to Asda Iceland and Tesco drivers some wave back and others just look straight ahead.
Something’s never change

ccmmick.

Old 14th April 2010, 17:25

Personally Mick, it's a trade off. The passenger train working offers a clean environment, generally more nights in bed also you have a better chance of being done on time. The downside is more 'please explains', trouble from the punters and a management who havn't a clue due to their bus company backgrounds. An aside was the instance was when a Stagecoach Senior Executive while at Waterloo watching the arrival of their train on the first day of privatisation. On seeing a Four coach unit with few passengers on stated in his opinion they should have only run one carriage. He was soon put right by the Traction Inspector in attendance. Freights downside is filthy, draughty and noisy locos, running problems and late finishes especially when you want an early pop. Long waits in mainly grotty messrooms. It's upside is generally a good camaraderie among staff and customers. More problem solving which makes the job more interesting and still having to drive the train! But what do I know, I have always preferred freight working simply for the variety and regular change it offers.
As for waving it takes small effort and is a friendly gesture which reflects the nature of the waver and to me simply polite to acknowledge.
Old 14th April 2010, 22:33
Registered Member

Smile Hierarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
A question for some of you old freight train drivers.
Passenger train drivers always thought that they were far more superior to freight drivers i would always put my hand up when passing trains but some of the passenger drivers would just look straight ahead and when you walked into a mess room they would look at you like a piece of dirt.
It’s quite funny really i now drive a home delivery van for Somerfield’s part time i always put my hand up to Asda Iceland and Tesco drivers some wave back and others just look straight ahead.
Something’s never change ccmmick.

Hi commick I was never a driver but during my time on the footplate there always seemed to bo some sort of pecking order. When I was working on locals at Enfiejd some Stratford mainline crews at Liverpool Street must have thought they were something special. Many a time I've nodded to a driver or fireman and been ignored.
When I was firing on the mainline I never intentionally ignored anybody but I did find that some crews from other sheds were not too keen on Kings Cross men. Perhaps they found us a bit flash and I suppose in a way these country boys were right.
Old 16th April 2010, 12:48
Registered Member

Give me "Goods working" every time. It is not all good working passenger trains, one thing about a load of coal, it cant argue with you !
I was quite happy "trundling" along on the slow line and if drivers and firemen in higher links didnt speak or ignored me well "sod em", but I always said good morning or passed the time of day.
There was a lot more skill needed working a loose coupled goods train than there was dashing about the railway with a fully fitted passenger train.
I might add by the way....I HAVE WORKED THE ROYAL TRAIN ON TWO OCCASIONS AND NOT EMPTY STOCK NEITHER !!
Simply because I signed the road on the route it was taking over goods lines !!

Old 16th April 2010, 19:50
Station Manager

I was lucky as all mainline drivers and firemen worked both goods and passenger trains. We worked a two week rota, most of which was goods. There were two Express passenger and two mixed passenger/goods trains in the rota. So all the crews knew each other and always greeted each other when crossing or passing.
Old 16th April 2010, 22:12

Tell you what, just wait until you are due to be transferred and on your last day hang around after clock off and then absolutely batter the daylights out of the cheeky swines!
Not setting a good example I know but I can see why I would not have in the job long if I did it.
Old 16th April 2010, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
I might add by the way....I HAVE WORKED THE ROYAL TRAIN ON TWO OCCASIONS

Me to Peter twice i even offered to take the Corgis for a walk .

ccmmick.

Old 17th April 2010, 06:28
Registered Member

Blimey Mick ,I would not go that far LOL.
The last time I worked it I had two class 25s on it, all "bulled up" as expected, and it was over a goods only line and we were releived by Bescot men.On board was a certain member of "the family" who lost his wife in France !!

Old 17th April 2010, 08:48

Hi Peter
The first time i worked it was with a 47 back in 1982 nothing special they just gave it a good wash the second time was with 47798 Prince William that was just before i finished.
I also remember one old driver the poor chap is dead now but he was working the train and they had to stable it on the Bodmin line by a gate still there called the royal gate where they would get out of the train into the cars, it was October time with a mucky rail and Percy the driver had very bad wheel slip Charlie boy was on the train that day i think Percy must have given him an early morning call .

ccmmick.

Old 18th April 2010, 21:54

I was a goods guard at HM for 27 years, and we had some good jobs at HM before EWS came along and wrecked the place.
Now HM stands rusting to the elements as its now shut.
I spent many happy hours on the Freightliner Shunt at Stourton, Leeds, where a 4 hour shift was was the norm.
Or Stalybridge Tanks, on at 0430 and going home at 0900hrs.
Road Learning was the prize to be had, we even had a driver who took orders for fish from Hull Docks, his nick name was ' Kipper Dick.'
As a guard at HM, we had good route cards and every Saturday night/ Sunday on ballast trains all over the spot. This included 3 years on the Leeds/Skipton/Bradford electrification trains.
All good money spinners.