20:24

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

The SMJ at Towcester

Old 24th March 2008, 20:13

Smile The SMJ at Towcester

Hi all!

Though i say it myself my website about the Stratford Upon Avon & Midland Junction Railway at www.smjr.info is coming on a treat! Go and take a look!!

One thing I'd like to also mention is a special 100th birthday. On the 1st of January 1909 'The East & West Junction Railway', 'The Evesham, Redditch and Stratford Railway', and 'The Stratford-Upon-Avon,Towcester & Midland Junction Railway' combined forces to form The Stratford-Upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway, the SMJ. (A year later the Northampton & Banbury Junction Railway joined too.)
The company ran services between Broom Junction and Stratford to the west through Towcester to Blisworth and Olney in the east.

The company struggled on through 'thin and thinner' 'til 1922 when the process of the SMJ being taken over by the LMS began. Over its short existence it touched many peoples hearts - and one hundred years on I feel its a birthday worth celebrating.

I would all you 'like minded folk' to think of some way of getting together and remembering. I would like to see newspaper articles, 'steam magazine' articles, interviews on local radio, talks and celebrations.

Any one interested?

Fluff