20:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Northern Rail to bring 4 Pacer 142s back into service

Old 31st May 2007, 09:39

Northern Rail to bring 4 Pacer 142s back into service

During July and August the Metrolink line to and from Altrincham will be closed for maintenance. Consequently, many passengers are expected to transfer to the Manchester to Chester via Altrincham rail line. This could have potentially caused major problems as many trams are overcrowded and trains arriving at Altrincham going towards Manchester in the morning peak currently have up to 170 people on 142s with between 102 and 120 seats.

Northern Rail have taken four class 142 Pacer trains on short term lease form Angel Trains to ‘strengthen’ the service between Chester and Manchester via Altrincham. Most trains should then be run with four carriages instead of the usual two.

Greater Manchester PTE is attempting to put together a deal where the 142s will remain with Northern after the end of the deal to strengthen services in the Greater Manchester area.

Old 31st May 2007, 13:24

I've seen an article in RAIL magazine which states its going to be on a pay as you go basis that Northern will be using them and just as it sounds will only pay when they are in service. To me it sounds a great idea and good forward thinking for a change by Northern
Old 31st May 2007, 14:58

From my oast experience onboard one of these services (17.05 from Chester-Mcr Picc) it was just about full, these will be really crowded if Northern don;t add extra units.

Are there any unit swaps Northern could do? What about using soe of those 158s that Northern have just acquired?
Old 1st June 2007, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222007 View Post
I've seen an article in RAIL magazine which states its going to be on a pay as you go basis that Northern will be using them and just as it sounds will only pay when they are in service. To me it sounds a great idea and good forward thinking for a change by Northern
I hope the pay as you go basis starts from September. Otherwise Northern will prefer to run overcrowded trains at some relatively busy times rather than extending the length of the train.