02:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Ratio N Gauge Signal Kits

Old 28th July 2007, 19:17

Angry Ratio N Gauge Signal Kits

I am currently trying to build some of these for the West Midland N Gauge Groups 'Waterstock' layout which is to be exhibited at the 40th anniversary exhibition in Kettering in September.
I have assembled the basic signals with no problems but I have now come to the railings on the bracket signal platforms.
The kits contain 2 filaments. The thicker brown filament needs the end expanding near to a candle flame and then cutting to a length of 7mm. I have managed to do this. The second filament is a pale green and is used for the actual handrails. Now the problem.
I cannot get the brown filaments to stick to the painted brass platforms satisfactorily. The green filament seems very reluctant to stick to the brown filament and if it does as soon as I try to bend it round the top of the ladder it either parts from the brown filament, rips the brown filament of the platform or both.
Anyone got any ideas?

Old 28th July 2007, 21:43

What adhesives are you using and are you sticking the posts onto bare metal or actually trying to stick them onto the paint itself?
Old 29th July 2007, 18:55

Red face

Thanks for your reply John.
I origanally tried superglue, plastic solvent and a UHU type glue but none of these were very good for either of the fixings. I have now discovered Revell Contacta Professional. I had had it in my tool box for some time and tried it out of desperation. It does work but takes a long time to go off, during which I have to try and hold the component in place, and it takes the piant of the brass beautifully.
I am attaching a photo of my progress so far, sorry but my digital camaera is not up to much when it comes to close ups.
Mike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg railway 007.jpg (65.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 29th July 2007, 21:07

Hi Mike,
It's over 20 years since I last built one of the Ratio signal kits and my memory is bad at the best of times . In fact, I don't even remember the platform being made out of brass, I thought it was plastic although I suppose they could have changed the materials over the years.
I do remember the filaments that they provide as they tend to use them in a number of their other kits but I can't for the life of me remember what adhesive I have used on them. To me they always look like a nylon material and as a first choice I would probably have tried superglue although as you have already discovered that doesn't appear to work too well. I am surprised that the Revell Contacta does the trick because it normally requires both surfaces to be soluble in order to weld them together but who cares if it works? When superglue and the plastic solvents have failed I have had some success with "Bison Plastic Adhesive" on hard plastics. It is available from Maplins.
As an alternative to using the filaments have you considered making your own posts and handrails? I have found that Peco N-gauge trackpins with the points cut off make reasonable posts. You can drill a 0.5mm hole through the platform and feed them through from the underside. A tiny drop of superglue on the head makes for a really strong fixing. For the handrails I use very fine fuse wire wrapping it around the posts and once again securing it with the tiniest drop of superglue. Just an idea if the dreaded filaments start to drive you round the bend
Old 30th July 2007, 21:31

John,
Thanks for the suggestions. Maplins very kindly opened their Kidderminster store last Saturday this is just the excuse I need to pay them a visit. I think that Ratio have only recently changed the entire bracket assembly to etched brass as my older ones had plastic brackets. The brass ones do look better. I might try the track pins method that you suggest. I have mounted the arms using track pins cutting off the excess with a pair of pliers. I now do not walk into the front room with out footwear as I have no idea where all the ends have shot to, I think one is in the lamp shade!
Many thanks I will tell you how I get on later in the week.
Mike.
Old 30th July 2007, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46235 View Post
................ I now do not walk into the front room with out footwear as I have no idea where all the ends have shot to, I think one is in the lamp shade!...........................
I know what you mean Mike. They don't half shoot off. I always wear my specs when I'm cutting the little so and so's
Old 31st July 2007, 23:19

John,
I have tried your method of using track pins for the uprights with great success. I wish to claim a new world record of bouncing the end of a track pin of all 4 walls, I think it finished in the bay window but I kept my eyes shut.
Old 1st August 2007, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46235 View Post
John,
I have tried your method of using track pins for the uprights with great success. I wish to claim a new world record of bouncing the end of a track pin of all 4 walls, I think it finished in the bay window but I kept my eyes shut.
Great news Mike.
Have you informed the Guinness Book of Records?