18:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Reward Offered After Track Obstructions - Chelmsford

Old 31st October 2008, 15:16
Registered Member

Reward Offered After Track Obstructions - Chelmsford

FROM THE BTPOLICE SITE.
31 October 2008 11:50
REWARD OFFERED AFTER TRACK OBSTRUCTIONS - CHELMSFORD
British Transport Police (BTP) is appealing for information after two recent incidents where trains have struck objects on the track in the Chelmsford area.
A £1,000 reward has been offered by National Express East Anglia for information leading to the arrest and conviction of any offender(s).
Around 9pm on Saturday 25 October, BTP responded to a report of a train striking a bicycle near to Chelmsford railway station. Investigating officers believe the bike had been thrown onto the line from a nearby bridge. The train involved was the 20:08 Liverpool Street to Clacton service.
Around 7.40pm on Tuesday 28 October, BTP received a report of a train striking a shopping trolley on the line in the Springfield area. The train involved was the 18:38 Liverpool Street to Clacton service.
Although no-one was injured as a result of the incidents, both trains were damaged, causing delays.
BTP Sergeant Anna Granger, one of the investigating officers, said:
“Placing objects on railway tracks is extremely dangerous and can have terrible consequences if a train is derailed.
“Those involved with these activities are not only risking a criminal conviction, they are risking their lives.
“We have made local enquiries and spoken with witnesses and we are also asking for help from any members of the public who may have information that can assist our investigation to come forward.
“We have increased plain clothes and high visibility patrols in the area to combat this dangerous activity and we encourage those who think it is fun to think about the consequences.
The National Express East Anglia Head of Safety, Andy Sanders, stated that:
“Throwing large objects onto a railway line is a criminal act that can have very serious consequences. National Express East Anglia is working closely with British Transport Police to help identify the persons responsible for the recent incidents in the Chelmsford area.
“These incidents have damaged trains and caused serious delays for our customers. There is, however, the potential for someone to be seriously injured by these reckless and irresponsible acts. I would therefore encourage anyone who has information that could help identify the persons responsible for this vandalism to contact British Transport Police.”

Anyone who may have witnessed or has information relating to these incidents is asked to contact British Transport Police on Freephone 0800 40 50 40 quoting background incident B3 of 29/10/08 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Old 31st October 2008, 15:23

I was going to say"unbelievable", but I am afraid nothing is anymore.
A major accident is coming because of something like this, and then someone like BT police will be blamed for not doing enough.
Absolutely brainless.
Paul.
Old 31st October 2008, 21:28

What a pity those doing it, don't 'slip' and go with what they throw on the tracks, then they might think in the future? Sorry, that is of course IF they have any brains.

They should just stop and think how THEY would feel if a Loved one got killed, or Seriously injured in one of these incidents.
Old 31st October 2008, 22:05

I wonder Bramleyman if they have any feelings. They are so far removed from being caring, thoughtful human beings as it is possible to be.
They dont care, and they have absolutely no fear of the law.
Paul.