13:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Train strikes lorry at crossing (BBC News)

Old 4th January 2008, 09:19

Train strikes lorry at crossing (BBC News)

A freight train collides with an articulated lorry on a level crossing between Gleneagles and Perth.

More from BBC News...

Old 4th January 2008, 10:03

I think it was 37515 involved, and it appeared to have been running light
Old 4th January 2008, 10:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
I think it was 37515 involved, and it appeared to have been running light

That is a 90mph section of track which means the loco could have been running at speeds of up to 75mph.

Could have been much worse than it appears to be. hope the driver is not to badly hurt and gets well soon.

Les

P.S Just to clarify, the rule book states that a light loco running on a line with line speed of 85mph and below = 60mph
90mph and above =75mph

Last edited by LesG; 4th January 2008 at 10:48.
Old 4th January 2008, 13:14

Oh look, another Half-Barrier crossing incident

Bob Crow wants all crossings replaced by bridges.....but I would suggest a cheaper and more reasonable option would be to put 'red light' style traffic cameras which snap any road vehicle which crosses after the warning lights start. Once errant motorists know they'll be aprehended for sure, they'll act more responsibly - or find themselves in court.
Old 4th January 2008, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghut View Post
Oh look, another Half-Barrier crossing incident

Bob Crow wants all crossings replaced by bridges.....but I would suggest a cheaper and more reasonable option would be to put 'red light' style traffic cameras which snap any road vehicle which crosses after the warning lights start. Once errant motorists know they'll be aprehended for sure, they'll act more responsibly - or find themselves in court.

Foghut, As a driver I agree with what you say, But this incident appears to be exactly what it says an accident.

The truck stuck on the crossing and could'nt get traction due to the ice on the road. As Isaid earlier this could have been so much worse, looking at the pictures on the news tonight the cab of the lorry was only just off the xing, the driver and his teenage son are so lucky to be still drawing breath this evening.

As for the cameras at these crossings, we have several up here (I don't your area), that have these cameras, mainly in the RETB signalled areas and the amount of times we here on the radio of a car going over in front of a train and the driver reporting the fact to the signalling centre and the signaller saying he will report to the BTP is an astonishing number of times but there seems to be no further action taken. Until the BTP/Civvy plod start acting on these reports then the message just will not get through.

Les
Old 4th January 2008, 20:46

OK Les I stand corrected on this one

I drive London Midland/South East/Southern where fortunately there are very few crossings.

I wonder if the cameras on crossings you describe are CCTV ?

As I was hinting at, this is currently a railway matter whereas I'd like to see the Highways Agency taking over responsibility for cars which offend at crossings in the same way as cars which deliberately jump traffic lights or speed. The railway has better things to do with its time and money, so let the Police treat this in the same way as any other traffic offence and drag the b*st*rds through the courts - after all this is wilfully dangerous driving likely to result in injury or death.
Old 5th January 2008, 00:01

It did on the RHDR a couple of years ago and the woman driver causing the death of the train driver had been caught jumping the crossing lights before. To make matters worse she had a young child in the car with her. No jail sentence and as far as I can remember did not lose her licence.
John (G)
Old 5th January 2008, 18:31

http://guyhouston.fotopic.net/p47636577.html

http://guyhouston.fotopic.net/p47636578.html
Old 5th January 2008, 20:43

I think all crossings should have standard Traffic Lights...Motorists would be more likely to obey these than the flashing red ones....after all they do all the time at road junctions (well most of the time )