20:48

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Oh Mr Porter!

Old 22nd August 2010, 13:10

After the resignalling at Ashford in the early 80's, this was posted on the wall
about a Dover Top Link Driver

Oh Mr Signalman what shall I do?
I wanted to go to platform two
But I'm stuck here in the through

I'll have to have a firkle and find the rest of it

Old 23rd August 2010, 05:20
Registered Member

Morning mate.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:45

Thanks for the reminder of the Will Hay film. First saw it during original cinema release - yes I'm even older than the film!

Film censorship was tighter in those days, but it did make the jokes more fun.

Do you remember the bit where Will is feeding train departure boards through the fire door & shouting the names as he picked them up? When he got a board with "Gentlemen" painted on it, he hesitated then shouted "Cheltenham" - great stuff!!

Mike
Old 26th August 2010, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
This morning "Duchess of Sutherland" was reported as having been switched along the wrong route when departing from Liverpool Lime Street. The train was directed towards Runcorn instead of Huyton and had to be drawn back by the assisting Class 47 before it could continue its journey some 55 minutes late.
I assume that it was a signalling error but why would the driver/inspector allow the train to be incorrectly routed. Surely they should have known the route involved and brought the train to a halt as soon as they saw the incorrect route was set up?
Please forgive me, but what exactly has this to do with the thread title?
Old 26th August 2010, 02:54

Simple. If it had continued along that route, it would have ended up at, .........wait for it................CREWE!

Regards, 62440.
Old 26th August 2010, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Surely they should have known the route involved and brought the train to a halt as soon as they saw the incorrect route was set up?
Wrong routing does occur in the "ordinary" railway from time to time, and the driver gets into trouble as well as the siggies. I have often wondered about this scenario as even if the driver realises the signal is indicating a wrong route he cant stop immediately so has no choice but to finish up in the wrong direction. Since he cant reverse I assume he has to proceed to the next SPT.
Old 26th August 2010, 13:30
Registered Member

I dont want to appear ignorant or "nit picking", but surely this wrong routing needs looking at because surely that is where road knoweldge comes in and also train working ? I mean if a train runs every day and is routed for example lets take rugby for a matter of instance, going downhill and it usually is booked and runs down the Trent valley but on this occasion the bobby pulls off for the down Birmingham road, well the driver should contact the box and question the routing ??? Surely ??
Because perhaps the driver does not sign the down brum, perhaps he is only ok for the down Trent which the train is booked to run anyway !

You cant just go where the bobby sends you without prior notice, any devation should be in the drivers notices which they get issued and the notices SHOULD be read by the driver before train departs and any pilotman organised before hand.
If you suddenly notice that the bobby has pulled off to go another route, the driver as I say should question it.

Also if it is an emergency deviation the control would inform the P.I.C. at the train starting point and then the P.I.C. would tell the driver again asking if he was ok for the road.If not he would bring his train to a stand on arrival at the signal and wait for a pilotman.The same when Guards were on trains, they should have a conductor guard who did sign the road.

Last edited by 48111; 26th August 2010 at 13:40.