15:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Toton TMD

Old 20th May 2015, 21:45

Toton TMD

l am new to the forum chaps, so if this is the wrong section for this question l do apologise in advance. l am returning to spotting after a 25 year absence and piecing together all the changes is harder than l thought.
Planning a trip next week by car to Toton, Crewe then onwards to Carlisle. l am going to make it a 3 day trip taking in as many stops as possible. l have been to Toton years ago but can't remember if there are roads running by to get a decent vantage point ? l want to see the class 60's that are there, many in storage l understand.
l take it in the health and safety gone mad world we live in, getting a look round a depot is impossible, except for open day ?
Is Carlisle still the hive of activity it used to be ? Thought about the overnighter there. Thanks, Mark

Old 20th May 2015, 23:17
Station Manager

Hello Mark1972 and welcome to the Railway Forum. Sorry I can't answer any of your questions as I know very little of the railways north of Kidderminster, but I hope you have a great trip and see all the things you want to.
Old 21st May 2015, 19:46

Thankyou, very kind words.
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:55

Hi Mark

It's been a long time since I was at Toton. From what I remember there's a lane which runs from the main road alongside the line on the opposite side of the line to the depot. At the end of the lane is a large grass bank which gives a good view across the depot yard. It may well have been redeveloped by now of course! You're certainly right about access to the depot - no chance!
I've done many days on Carlisle but never an overnight. Daytime can be quite variable - depends on the level of coal traffic to/ from Hunterston. Will also get the DRS class 37s on the two passenger diagrams from carlisle to Preston/Barrow. Steam should also be around on Tuesday (from York) and Wednesday (from Lancaster).
Don't know if this helps but have a good trip

Alanw
Old 23rd May 2015, 20:53

Alan,
You are right about the bank at Toton, l found out it still there. Had my first day-out spotting in 25 years yesterday to Didcot ; some helpful chaps there gave me the same information about the bank. Seems most of the 60's are in view from there, so will look forward to the trip. Saw 60063 yesterday at Didcot, so over the moon to see my first one ! Another very nice chap at Basingstoke informed me that the coal traffic at Carlisle has dropped off, but does not matter to me, the chance of seeing 20's still working the mainline will be worth the trip. Will try to and get some haulage on the 37's and see the steam, that would be a real treat. Talking of treats, three were present at Didcot Railway Centre yesterday - 56005,50035 and 45060. They were there for the event this weekend, but could not get in, so only had pictures from the station.
Thanks for your reply Alan.
Old 24th May 2015, 19:16

Hi Mark
Glad that's of some use to you. Seeing you talk about class 60s I should have mentioned that the Carlisle-Chirk timber train usually around lunchtime) should be going over to Colas class 60 haulage (cuurently either 56 or 66s). Hopefully I might get down there on Wednesday and have a look - watch this space!
Alan
Old 25th May 2015, 01:23

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. Directions to the viewing point for Toton. (Binoculars essential!)

From M1 Jct.24. Go east on A52, at first Roundabout turn Right into Toton Lane, this becomes Stapleford lane at approx the top of the hill, carry on to the first set of traffic lights, turn Right there into Banks Road. Proceed along there until you come to the end of it which is a turning circle. Park up, Lock your valuables out of sight, and get out. Take the path heading up the slope, at the top turn left, next junction turn Right, this will bring you out near the top of "Toton Bank" a good view of the shed can be had across the yard and mainline.

Hope this helps, you might like to check it out first on Google Streetview so you know what to expect.

I've nailed on a couple of shots from a few years back so that you can get some idea of the view. I understand that the trees have grown a bit since these were taken.

Regards, 62440.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67022_@_Toton_19.09.2007_1.jpg (110.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 66174_@_Toton_09.05.2007_1.jpg (128.6 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 62440; 25th May 2015 at 01:51.