10:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Snowfall hits schools and trains (BBC News)

Old 6th February 2009, 20:14

It's funny, but why do people think traincrew reside permanently at the depots? They have to get into work at all hours. The days when you had to live no more than one mile from your depot are long gone. Our class 321's once the most reliable of their type dislike snow being dragged into their motors. They are restricted to 75mph at the mo' Also, snow gets into the door runners. Station staff use anti-freeze to clear them, the stuff melts, and then the wind chill caused by the movement re-freezes. It's a vicious circle.
Oh, and while I'm on me soap box, walking to work at 4 in the morning in a blizzard, or on hard compacted snow/ice isn't much fun, no matter what the final depth is. If any of you non railway posters have brilliant ideas on how to deal with once in twenty year occasions that won't cost millions, then feel free to share your ideas with the world.

Old 8th February 2009, 20:12

How do 350s react to snowy conditions? I only ask because Steve Banaghan has used the Class 321 problem with snow as his answer to the DfT. Are there any 350's running today?
Old 12th February 2009, 18:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Excellent, that's cheered me up Fortunately some things don't change.
cheers,
Andy
Got a couple of inches here in Darlington, had p.e today, we were meant to be having a footy match, but it turned into a fottball match/snowball fight

Then, my head of year came out, and started throwing snowballs at us
There were about 10 of us, so we all got a couple of snowballs, and ran at him, it was the first time I have ever seen him in a good mood!!!

My Video's
http://uk.youtube.com/steamvids