13:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Multiple units

Old 7th November 2014, 01:19

Multiple units

I remember travelling a lot on these in the sixties ,local ones with two cars (ie Rugeley to Birmingham)and from Snow hill to Cardiff (change at Gloucester?)with I think six cars.I always thought that they were a pleasant mode of travel and wondered if they were in fact commercially successful?I think they were all built my Metro -Vickers?

Old 7th November 2014, 09:48

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41225 View Post
I remember travelling a lot on these in the sixties ,local ones with two cars (ie Rugeley to Birmingham)and from Snow hill to Cardiff (change at Gloucester?)with I think six cars.I always thought that they were a pleasant mode of travel and wondered if they were in fact commercially successful?I think they were all built my Metro -Vickers?
There's a simple answer to that

Yes

A train using smaller power plants in tandem to move a heavy train is always more cost effective than one huge power plant for them as they use less power once motion is achieved
Plus maintenance of the smaller units is easier and cheaper than of loco's and faster turnarounds possible.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 7th November 2014, 10:26

Are there similar units in use today?Living in Thailand I don't get to keep up with the UK much!
Old 7th November 2014, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41225 View Post
Are there similar units in use today?Living in Thailand I don't get to keep up with the UK much!
I think it's true to say that the vast majority of passenger services in the UK are provided by multiple units these days. So much so in fact that enthusiasts turn out in their droves to enjoy the unusual sight of a loco-hauled train.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:07

Was the Midland Pullman (the blue train) the forerunner of modern high speed multiple units ?
Old 8th November 2014, 10:29

No I believe it was power cars each end like the HST.

An important benefit of multiple units is that the tractive effort is spread over several sets of wheels which allows better acceleration without wheelslip.
Old 8th November 2014, 19:21

I actually loved to travel up front of a 60's DMU as the views were superb. You could see every loco coming and easily get the number of the steam engine. It was a great way to travel. I used to do it often from Lincoln to Newark Northgate, or Grantham for a shed bash, or to just spot on the ECML. Wonderful memories and mixed well with the last days of steam and early diesels. (I know the funny squared diesel thingies!) lol.
Had fun all the same.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil
Old 8th November 2014, 19:48

I joined the railway in 1979, excuse the pun here, trained as a guard and worked my first train being a dmu on 12th March 1980 from King's Lynn to Cambridge bearing NSE Livery. I didn't like them too much, yet thinking back, they were comfy seating wise.

Yesterday when driving near Ely, I saw 3 enthusiasts at a crossing and so enquired if a 'Special' was due through, but they had just photographed a couple of units. Me? I would rather photograph class 66 loco's, but each to our own.
Old 9th November 2014, 09:40

My memory of them was trips to and from base at Scampton on weekend pass.

At each country station stop the Beclawat sliding vents would rattle deafeningly from the vibration of the idling engines. By the end of the journey I'd have a raging headache.
Old 9th November 2014, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramleyman View Post
Yesterday when driving near Ely, I saw 3 enthusiasts at a crossing and so enquired if a 'Special' was due through, but they had just photographed a couple of units. Me? I would rather photograph class 66 loco's, but each to our own.
Yes I totally agree with you on that. Give me a loco any day.

I suppose it's possible that they're trying to get good photos of the 365s on the Fen Line before they're superceeded by the class 377/5s which will be cascaded across from the Thameslink side (once the class 700s come into service there).

It's not due to happen for quite a while yet though, and even when it does there will still be 365s going to Peterborough.

Best wishes, BW