18:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Knowsley Freight Terminal

Old 21st August 2008, 22:04

Knowsley Freight Terminal

Hello Folks,

Does anyone know the arrival/departure times for workings to the Knowsley Rail Freight Terminal in Kirkby? I never seem to be able to catch them lately, though I suspect I'm turning up at the wrong times.

Much obliged for any help,

DeeMersey.

Old 25th August 2008, 22:25

Sorry, don't know.* Probably need to consult the freightmaster books for that information, and I don't have them. The only time I visited Knowsley freight terminal on spec, there seemed to absolutely nothing going on.

*I couldn't bear to see this going unanswered, so I, erm, unanswered it. sorry.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:52

Thumbs up Much ta anyway!

I'm grateful for any reply, many thanks. In all fairness I was under the impression that current workings are fairly irregular, although the Headbolt Lane siding rails still seem to be getting some use.

Ta muchly,

DeeMersey.
Old 29th December 2008, 10:19

This train is not on the list anymore however 6M29 Immingham to Arpley still runs could this be the train you are looking for.
Old 9th February 2009, 18:47

I have worked on this line between Kirkby and Wigan Wallgate.

Possession used to be given up at around 05:40 and a container train would pass very soon after.

Can remember which way it was going as it was 5 years ago, but it always was an early morning one.
Old 24th February 2009, 02:35

I spoke to the signal box man at Rainford in December who said that the contract had been lost to rail in April 08 and no freights had run since whilst he had been in the box.I passed the junction east of Kirkby station last week and the tracks to the Knowsley depot do look rusty.
Old 27th February 2009, 21:08

Hello Folks,

Many thanks for that info, it seems a shame that the place was set up in a blaze of publicity only to be seemingly abandoned (at least from rail, the road distribution site appears to be functioning) so quickly. I suspect there was an Objective One subsidy which may now have run out.

One point for optimism is that Merseytravel are looking to upgrade the line with electrification to Wigan; interestingly Merseytravel boss Neil Scales is quoted as saying that new Merseyrail electrification should be 25Kv, not third rail.

This makes sense if a big national electrification program starts, as mooted by Lord Adonis. Merseyrail's 507s and 508s should in theory be easy to upgrade to 313 (Class 507/3?), but in any case are due for replacement relatively soon. My guess is dual-voltage Class 350s, which I understand can be provided in a loading guage suitable for the Liverpool Loop.

This all has a relevance for freight, since being able to access Knowsley from the WCML with 25Kv opens up pathing possibilities not presently available; it might serve as a relief for other Merseyside freight, especially since the re-opening of the Olive Mount Chord is expected to boost Merseyside rail freight.

We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime many thanks for your observations.

Take care all,

DeeMersey.