17:00

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Class 20s for sale...

Old 5th December 2006, 21:19

Class 20s for sale...

about 12 months or so ago i remember reading Harry Needle was selling some of his surplus EE Type 1s. one of them for sale was one of my favorites 20088. the only member of its class to be painted in triple grey trainload colours, before being used by RFS on channel tunnel construction work, since then the loco has been stored first bought by DRS, then HNRC.
can enyone tell me what sort of condition is she in, is she still around or has she gone to the big loco shed in the sky. has she a futrue ?.

Old 21st December 2006, 16:15

Interesting thought.
If all these diesals/ electrics that are being scrapped were bought by enthusiasts rather than actually scrapped. Would they be stored on preserved railways? would these railways want them on their tracks?would preserved lines be turned into scrap yard lines insome cases and would they actually ever get to run?
Old 23rd December 2006, 14:16

I'm sure the East Lancs would want to get there hands on more diesels, even though there are a fair few which haven't run yet. I think there is currently an operational fleet of about ten at Bury, which includes a class 20 (can't think of it's number but it's been here years).
Old 17th June 2007, 01:11

The class 20, that gets the juices flowing. I can remember it very well the first time that i ever saw one of these loco's.

I was on a south facing platform at York station circa 1981?. Looking south at the frieght line that by-passed the station a double headed frieght train trundled passed and headed south under Holgate bridge.

As a raw 11 y/o i thought that they were a pair of 08's......somebody pointed it out to me that they were x2 20's....i had egg on my face, but 25+ years later i can still see it as if it was yesterday.