14:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Faulty 142 at Chester

Old 10th August 2007, 10:29

Faulty 142 at Chester

A broken down Northern 142 was apparently left at Chester by Northern Rail staff . Arriva Trains Wales staff wanted to move the train but had no idea how to move it as they are only trained to use 156s, 158s and 175s.

Old 10th August 2007, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh1983 View Post
A broken down Northern 142 was apparently left at Chester by Northern Rail staff . Arriva Trains Wales staff wanted to move the train but had no idea how to move it as they are only trained to use 156s, 158s and 175s.
I know I go on and on about it, but such is the ridiculous nature of our privatised railway.
Old 10th August 2007, 17:05

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh1983 View Post
142's used to be common at Chester, so i wouldn't have thought it would be that much of a problem - unless the unit had seized....

However, 142's at Chester are not my favourite topic of conversation at present. Some of you will have seen my recent plea for class 142 detail photographs. On wednesday 1 August, i was on the 19:48 from Rhyl (cl. 175 - not good for my mood at the best of times...), through to Birmingham. On arrival at Chester, we pulled up opposite a 142 in the (crewe) bay. I quickly grabbed my camera & was all set for a quick photo session when one of the train crew approached & said we had to change units. So i had to reboard sans-pics & grab my luggage & travelling companions & quickly make my way to the other end of the station for a replacement cl. 158. My language at the time was NOT choice!
Old 10th August 2007, 21:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave47549 View Post
....................I quickly grabbed my camera & was all set for a quick photo session when one of the train crew approached & said we had to change units. So i had to reboard sans-pics & grab my luggage & travelling companions & quickly make my way to the other end of the station for a replacement cl. 158. .....................
Although I have never been denied a 142 photo, I have had to change trains mid-journey quite a few times at Chester. The Alstom maintenance depot is at Chester and faulty 175's are often taken out of service as they pass through if a spare unit is available.
Personally I quite like the 175's but they are notoriously unreliable.
Old 11th August 2007, 11:04

A few years ago we rode 175's between Windermere and Oxenholme, and thought they were very good. (If unreliable).
Old 13th August 2007, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave47549 View Post
On wednesday 1 August, i was on the 19:48 from Rhyl (cl. 175 - not good for my mood at the best of times...), through to Birmingham. On arrival at Chester, we pulled up opposite a 142 in the (crewe) bay. I quickly grabbed my camera & was all set for a quick photo session when one of the train crew approached & said we had to change units.
Arriva Wales always seem to be transferring passengers between trains which are shown in the timetables as direct trains.

I wouldn't complain if a 175 turned up for a train I was using unless they were using the dodgy automated PA system. I'm use to 142s, 150s and ocassional 156s on Northern servies and 158s and 175s on Transpennines Express services so a 175 is better than what I'm used to.