09:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Northern Rail's logic

Old 13th July 2007, 10:29

Northern Rail's logic

To cope with the Metrolink closure Northern are using extra carriages on morning peak trains from Chester to Manchester via Altrincham and on afternoon peak trains from Manchester to Chester via Altrincham.

However, they are leaving the extra carriages on non-peak trains not in use and on some trains which are running between Altrincham and Knutsford (the already busy part of the line) between 3pm to 4:30pm, people are having to stand on up on a train when there are two empty carriages attached to the train they are standing up on.

Northern say it's because they are using 142s and two joined up need 2 conductors to check all the tickets, but why can't they join up 150s or 156s and make them so you can walk from one end to the other (as they commonly do) instead?

Old 14th July 2007, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkboomer2 View Post
Northern say it's because they are using 142s and two joined up need 2 conductors to check all the tickets, but why can't they join up 150s or 156s and make them so you can walk from one end to the other (as they commonly do) instead?
Oh yes, Ive been in situations where this is a problem. Last year when went to Preston onboard a tpx, it was made up of 2 class 175s. I was in a 2 car one at the front, and there was a 3 car on behind. I guess the conductor was in that train as knowone came around on the front 175 up to Preston.

To be honest Northern could avoid this problem by having ticket inspectors based at Altrincham, anyone travelling to Manchester, Stockport or Chester is almost guarenteed to have a ticket check. Are there any inspecotrs at stations along this line as Northern have them based at some places (e.g. Wilmslow).
Old 16th July 2007, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hicks View Post
To be honest Northern could avoid this problem by having ticket inspectors based at Altrincham, anyone travelling to Manchester, Stockport or Chester is almost guarenteed to have a ticket check. Are there any inspecotrs at stations along this line as Northern have them based at some places (e.g. Wilmslow).
There are ticket inspectors on the line at:
* Chester as you leave the station (you could still get off one train and on to another without a ticket)
* Stockport, at the bottom of both sets of stairs (you can still go between adjacent platforms without showing your ticket)
* Manchester Piccadilly, always at platforms 13 and 14. The rest of the inspectors move around between platforms.

Out of the stations between Mouldsworth and Navigation Rd, Knutsford statistically has the greatest passenger numbers. I haven't seen ticket inspectors there since British Rail ran the station. Altrincham has more passengers if you include the Metrolink but Stagecoach are now responsible for Metrolink ticket checks, with Northern Rail being responsible for train ticket checks. The problem with the busiest stations on the line is that there are multiple ways out of the stations at Altrincham, Knutsford and Northwich, which would make it difficult for ticket inspectors.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:17

I saw one of the services yesterday at Stockport, it was a joint 142 and 150. Hoever passengers were only allowed onboard the 142.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:26

Yesterday when a train from Manchester arrived at Knutsford (a 142 attached to a 156) the conductor threw everyone off the 156 and on to the 142. There was enough room on the 142 at that point, but I don't know why he didn't throw people off the 142 instead.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:55

Could someone just clarify the situation for me? Would I be right in saying that they where running two multiple units coupled together, but where only letting passengers ride in one of them? If so I really can't understand why. Could someone please enlighten me?

Adam
Old 25th July 2007, 17:57

Central did this yesterday between Skegness and Grantham it was a 156+3 car 158 combo. Although the 158 was opened up to service at grantham. To be fair though there wasnt any need for it to be opened the 156 was far from full i even managed to get a table seat.

pavorossi yes that is correct and as already been mentioned there needs to be a guard in both portions of the train if there is no corridor connectors. Its as much to do with health and safety i would think as well as revenue protection
Old 26th July 2007, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222007 View Post
pavorossi yes that is correct and as already been mentioned there needs to be a guard in both portions of the train if there is no corridor connectors. Its as much to do with health and safety i would think as well as revenue protection
Northern Rail have run trains connected togther but without a corridor connector with a guard/conductor in one part only. Like for the service I mentioned above. The train was a St-Annes-On-Sea to Greenbank, so it's possible there were two conductors on the train north of Manchester Piccadilly, but may have only been one available when they changed round and possibly at that point too many passengers to fir in one portion.

When that's happened though the conductor's always been in the other part from the driver.

Last edited by hstudent; 26th July 2007 at 13:47.
Old 26th July 2007, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
Could someone just clarify the situation for me? Would I be right in saying that they where running two multiple units coupled together, but where only letting passengers ride in one of them? If so I really can't understand why. Could someone please enlighten me?

Adam
It may be that it would take too long to link them at Manchester Piccadilly at peak times. But they are wasting diesel in not disconnecting them. Most trains don't need to have all the carriages open, but some of the busy trains during the off-peak period ideally do need them. They are no so full meaning passengers are unable to get on but passengers are having to stand up.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:49

I saw a porter at Chester station mouth some swear words when he discovered two 142s at the same platform were joined together but people were only allowed to board one of them.