09:12

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Peak Rail into Matlock at last

Old 15th September 2010, 10:35

Peak Rail into Matlock at last

Click BBC NEWS: Derbyshire steam railway to extend service to Matlock

Peak Rail have at last gained permission to use Platform 1 of Matlock station.

Old 15th September 2010, 13:56

northern extension for Peak Rail?

This is good news, even though it has taken Network Rail so long to agree to what was a pretty straightforward request.

The next question might be whether Peak Rail will ever extend north of Rowsley. Personally I doubt it but the intention to rebuild the line to Buxton was stated in their literature up until several years ago. Wisely they then removed it after it was pointed out that you have to be careful what you say when the literature is an offer to subscribe for shares! Lots of legal requirements around that. However, has anyone any knowledge of Peak Rail's current thinking or the feasibility of any extension northwards?
Old 15th September 2010, 14:25

I am not connected with Peak Rail in any way but have a strong interest having grown up watching the London expresses to Manchester.

The County Council is preventing development on the trackbed, but while Bakewell may be possible if the opposition of the Duke of Rutland can be over come, I doubt the line onwards could ever be econmically viable.

Just north of Rowsley there is a gas substation or something like that, which could be shifted, and Haddon Tunnel which is apparently in fair condition:

CLICK: Urban Exploration Forums

CLICK: Forgotten Relics

North of Bakewell to Millers Dale Junction there are a number of tunnels in ery poor condition, plus it is now the Monsal Trail.

Last edited by wyvern; 15th September 2010 at 14:28. Reason: Coloured links
Old 20th September 2010, 17:25

Funny you should say that because on thursday I walked the whole MOnsal trail and visited Peak rail, although I did not use the train. As far as I can make out they want to extend from the Northwood terminus into Rowsley. It Rousley south should have northwood included in the name but that smy opinion. Bakewell is the next stop after that but I think they'll take it from there. They still own a good portion of land for a grand terminus at Buxton, so I would presume that yes they do. If a welsh highland like phenomenon could ever happen I think viable yes. Millersdale station, the grand five platform affair in the middle of nowhere is stunningly pretty much complete. If they started from Buxton at the same time, they could use existing freight line and then have the few miles left to millersdale. What they have is pressure from two sides. Forgive the term but a pincer movement extension is a much stronger case than a simple forward pushing one. Of they could do it, it would be without doubt the greatest heritage railway ever, end of story.
Old 21st September 2010, 08:13

THe problem is all the tunnels in bad condition between Millers Dale and Bakewell

The County Coincil report is here:

Derby to Manchester rail project

There's a plan of the line which takes an age to download

Last edited by wyvern; 21st September 2010 at 08:17.