19:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

How do you do!

Old 8th January 2011, 10:02

How do you do!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. My father was a steam train artist and maybe that's where my love of railways started, but truly I just love to be near any railway. I don't mind whether I'm watching steam or any other, though have this week spent a particularly great day at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway.

Am going to Liverpool by train soon and want to make the most of my journey. Any suggestions as to the best stations en route? Is Crewe worth stopping off at? I seem to remember a fleeting glance of lots of engines in sidings when I was passing there once.

You can call me whatever you choose, but in the words of Johnny Cash, my name is Sue and how do you do (but I'm a gal, not a guy as in the song!).

Old 8th January 2011, 10:05

Gals interested in railways ? Whatever next.

Welcome to the Forum Sue, it's a good place to be.
Old 8th January 2011, 10:21
Registered Member

Welcome

Hello Sue Welcome to the Forum.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Gals interested in railways ? Whatever next.
How about gals on the footplate?! (I was going to say guys ironing but I changed my mind .)

A day's driving at Bodmin is my plan, when I've saved up the money for the experience!

Thanks for the welcome so far everyone!
Old 8th January 2011, 11:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayDownWest View Post
How about gals on the footplate?! (I was going to say guys ironing but I changed my mind .)

A day's driving at Bodmin is my plan, when I've saved up the money for the experience!

Thanks for the welcome so far everyone!

Guys ironing ? You would be horrified to see my ironing pile.
I hope you get to do the footplate experience and I'm sure it will be an unforgettable day out.
Old 8th January 2011, 11:13

Thanks Philip, I'm so looking forward to it. Apparently I can also take my family with me so my sons and co get the thrill of mum driving! Fortunately my daughter-in-law is as nutty as I am about steam. Talking of steam, a steam iron will do the trick in helping you diminish the pile . Personally I gave up ironing years ago.
Sue
Old 8th January 2011, 20:25
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Sue.

Probably the best Station is Liverpool Lime Street itself. It is one of the few stations which still has a great atmosphere. It is the first mainline Station I remember from when I was very small. I returned about 18 months ago and the train shed was still as I remembered it from 60 plus years ago!

The tunnels approaching it have an aura all of their own.

Bristol Temple Meads is the other great station enroute. A Masterpiece and a good place to watch trains. A great place to stop off on the way

Crewe is very tired but plenty of trains, although not all stop there now.

Birmingham New Street is a dark cavern, not the Station I knew and loved in the 50's.

So a few ideas for stations on your route.

I love the Bodmin and Wenford and it is a great place to do a footplate course.

Have you been to Travano to see the progress on rebuilding the Helston Branch? They have just got an HRA award for their work.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:38
Station Manager

Hello Sue and welcome to the Railway Forum. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway was one I visited last September and had a very enjoyable day on the line. Did both trips and visited the old jail while I was there.
Old 9th January 2011, 10:36

Thank you Syd for your kind welcome.

Hello John, no I haven't been to Trevarno yet, though it's somewhere I plan to visit. The railway there is an amazing achievement. Thanks for your tips about where to stop en route Liverpool. I've done the rail trip many times but have never thought of stopping at Bristol Temple Meads, so I'll give that a go. Lime Street I can explore once I'm up there. I don't mind if trains don't stop at stations - I just love to watch them on the move! Last year I ended up on a station en route Liverpool - can't remember which one - and a goods train about a mile long (or so it seemed) flew past and it was such an impressive sight. (Takes all sorts to make a world, doesn't it?!! )
Sue
Old 9th January 2011, 12:25

Well I was surprised by the comment "gals, whatever next" as I'm a gal and didn't even think to say so. I am guessing then that it's mainly blokes on here? Oh well, variety is the spice of life, eh Sue?! Bristol Temple Meads IS a nice old station and an added bonus is the cafe/bar just inside the entrance. On your way in you pass WH Smith on your right, go through the barrier and turn left & it's right there. It has comfy leather couches & a nice clean toilet. All the best Sue, nice to meet you.