13:34

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 22nd February 2016, 15:44

my father was fireman and when he was working at cricklewood i would have opportunities to ride on the footplate with him when doing shunting duties , wanted to join british rail when steam but they started phasing it out and decided not to as i do not find diesel trains as exciting

Old 5th March 2016, 15:30

My interest in trains

From the age of 12 I used to travel by train to school. This was back in the 1950's and these trains were old electric units with slam door compartments. At Lewes, where my school was located, there were interesting steam engines pulling ancient carriages on the 'Uckfield Flyer' to admire, whilst the London bound express trains had luxury Pullman cars in each set.

At Newhaven there was always the excitement of seeing the steam pulled Boat Trains arriving and departing with their 1st, 2nd and 3rd class carriages and Pullman cars. And also the 'Puffing Billy' freight trains that crossed the old manually operated swing bridge over the river.

At Seaford I got to know the station staff and they would take me on the London expresses to inspect the coaches and even into the driver's cab.

For holidays it was often a trip on the steam hauled express out of Brighton to Southampton or the West Country, a wonderful trip for a youngster.

Then there were the holidays in France, Belgium and Holland with journeys on some really antiquated old trains with their completely different style steam engines, wooden seats in carriages and 'hole in the floor' loos. There were also trips on express services out of Dieppe and Ostend to Paris, Brussels and beyond.

Later when I worked in London there was commuting out of Marylebone to Maidenhead and occasionally a trip on the Brighton Belle to go back home.

Overseas came the fascination of seeing the trains in Egypt with people sat on the roofs and coming across the only train service in Borneo running out of Jesselton (now Kota Kinabalu).

Nowadays I take the occasional trip from Co Durham to the South Coast to visit family and friends using the super Grand Central service to Kings Cross, and then the Thameslink from St Pancras. But mostly I enjoy watching the trains passing by from home with the Royal Train going by occasionally, 'specials' on excursion trips, GBrf freight trains, Direct Rail diesels and various Northern Rail trains en route to Sunderland, Newcastle, Hexham and Carlisle.

Linesman
Old 5th March 2016, 15:40

Very interesting rail history you had Linesman, thanks for sharing.
Old 20th February 2017, 14:32

my old man and the level 3 diploma i am doing any help of knowledge would be great full
Old 5th December 2017, 10:00

Unhappy How times change...

I was on the platform at Milton Keynes Central a while ago catching a Pendalino to London. A steam hauled special arrived (northbound) on an adjacent platform. A number of us boys (of a certain age!) rushed along to view the loco.
There were several children, girls & boys around 10years old, waiting for their train with their guardians but not one showed any interest whatsoever in this marvellous spectacle! I was astonished and saddened.
Old 16th January 2018, 09:42

Started trainspotting when I was 8. Had a working life on railways. My most visible contribution is the Class 153 diesel railcar - I was the Project and the Works Manager. The conversion from Class 155 was done at the Leyland Bus works in Workington.
Old 16th January 2018, 14:57

Welcome to the forum
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:39

My birthing into the wondrous world of steel behemoths thundering down the rail was born at age 8. The Cumbrian nuclear flask trains (back then hauled by a pair of twenties) were right on the other side of the school fence. I was fascinated. The noise, the power, the fact that I could feel the ground shaking minutes before they thundered past. that's what got me hooked.

As per usual, my interest dropped through my teen years, not with girls or beer, but with war machines. I forgot all about trains.
But last year, October, my significant other asked me "hey, weren't you into trains when you were younger?" A question she came to regret asking.
She suggested we go check out the local model railway exhibition. A single layout caught my eyes. A fifteen foot long HO swiss mountain pass, and that was that, i picked up a small starter set right there and then for £20, not even bothered if it worked.

I got home and plugged it in, and with a buzz and a grind, it came to life. And then it was 4AM and I had no idea where the time went. Now I attend a club, I go to any expo I can and I spend a healthy portion of my free time at the platform edge with my camera.
Old 13th May 2018, 15:54

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
We've all been through it, the fascination with steel wheels on steel rails. The interest might fade a bit as girls and beer take their hold in our teens, but we all came back to the hobby. We must've done, or you wouldn't be reading this!

So, what was it that got you interested in railways?
I am a landscape painter and love to include steam trains in my paintings. They bring my paintings to life.
Old 19th May 2018, 15:51

Having watched this post since it started I've decided to say where and when I got interested in the Railways it was many, many years ago when as a youngster I was lucky enough to be able to wander along and see the Coronations racing along the West Coast main line, and seeing the humble feights sitting in the loops, awaiting a path. In the 1950's I was made to do my two year forces sevice and used to travel from Devonport or Portsmouth back home on leave here to the North West behind Castles, Halls as well as the Staniers, from Crewe northto Lancaster.
I started photographing in the 1960's and have done so ever since as have my two sons, as some of my photographs have show I have visited Switerland on many occasions just for their Railways.
I have just been to the SVR diesel gala with my two sons, so it definitely runs in the Family
As some members know I am also a mnember of a Model Railway Club, so the interest
that started away back in the 1940's still prevails to this day.

Davat