23:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Ely West Loop

Old 24th January 2012, 17:39

Ely West Loop

Anybody know what traffic is using the Ely (Adelaide) West Loop? The track is shiny so something is going round, Middleton sand maybe.

Old 25th January 2012, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
Anybody know what traffic is using the Ely (Adelaide) West Loop? The track is shiny so something is going round, Middleton sand maybe.
Yes it does and according to what I have been told, twice a day now, but yet to be confirmed.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:33

Thanks. I will keep trying at that location. If you get any more info I'll be glad to hear it.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:43

I live near Downham Market, so may well meet you there sometime. I will ask another Enthusiast I know, if he can confirm it for you, as his son watches the sand train(s) every chance he gets.
Old 27th January 2012, 18:41

There's at least 2 different sand trains - a Heavyhaul & DBS one.

I snapped DBS 6E88 - the 12:39 Middleton Towers to Goole Glassworks (arr 20:37) near Runcton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBS Sand Train.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 30th January 2012, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
There's at least 2 different sand trains - a Heavyhaul & DBS one.

I snapped DBS 6E88 - the 12:39 Middleton Towers to Goole Glassworks (arr 20:37) near Runcton.
Down the road from me. Runcton that is. I caught sight of one heading back into Lynn one afternoon last week as I was returning home from that way, but too late to see loco.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:21

Thanks boys. Turns out there are 2 a day but it took 5 visits to the loop to see, and video, a train going round it, no. 66010 seen in the photo, travelling much faster than I expected and creating an ear splitting flange squeal ( ear plugs required if you ever go there).
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:30

Pleased to see you finally got it. I popped to Runcton this morning to see the NR HST going to King's Lynn. Had I stayed longer, I daresay I would have seen the sand train, but had a neighbour with me who I promised to drop off in town.
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:33

Ha! I went into to KL today to catch the 11:56, and reached the station just as the NMT was pulling out of pl2. Pity as I could have snapped it if I'd been 5 minutes earlier.

Do you know if this was a scheduled visit, or did it come to assess the appalling ride between Ely and Lynn ? (Speaking of which - I see that no sooner did the ESR come off at Ely Dock jn than a new one sprouted up at the Cam bridge near Chesterton).

Cheers, FP
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:48

I had a tip-off by phone on Thursday, that this was coming down to Lynn, so unable to answer your question Flying Pig, sorry.

I can recall an HST visiting Lynn many years ago, and pleased to say I was on it following our DMU failure between Litteport and Downham Market, resulting in the DMU being terminated at the latter. I even have photo's of it in Lynn, but no date recorded. All I can recall is that it was prior to November 1989.