22:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

CVR Cauldon Lowe Running day 1st April

Old 1st April 2012, 21:44

CVR Cauldon Lowe Running day 1st April

Hi all

Just a quick report on my visit to the Churnet Valley today, had expected to be behind a steamer & the 104 DMU. But, much to this Diesel fan's delight....a class 33 was at the helm (33021 Captain Charles), result!!

Anyway i'd never been before despite living fairly close & was treated to an excellent day. The Cauldon Lowe branch really does give this railway some serious extra miles & a return trip from Kingsley & Froghall is well over 2 hours long.

Speaking to one of their many friendly volunteers the next phase will be passenger services over the 4 miles to Endon by September & with all the other big developments (rumours of the extension to Leek being confirmed!?) its set to be exciting times down in this valley! A few pictures below, thanks for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CVR 3.jpg (94.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CVR 2.jpg (132.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CVR 8.jpg (89.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CVR 4.jpg (124.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CVR 11.jpg (116.1 KB, 5 views)

Old 2nd April 2012, 13:19

I do like the Churnet Valley Railway. Its also my local preservation centre. The Cauldon Lowe branch has added so much. Im also looking forward to the Endon branch opening. Maybe oneday the line will be fully restored to Stoke station giving the line a mainline connection. Imagine the traction and visitors that would bring
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:57

Glad you had a good day out BowlerL33.
It is a good line and is sure destined to become a major attraction with the proposed line to Alton Towers. It will have places to visit that should draw the crowds. Its lovely along the valley and the climb up to Caulden is awsome especially for a steam engine.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdog View Post
I do like the Churnet Valley Railway. Its also my local preservation centre. The Cauldon Lowe branch has added so much. Im also looking forward to the Endon branch opening. Maybe oneday the line will be fully restored to Stoke station giving the line a mainline connection. Imagine the traction and visitors that would bring
Yes its a quality set-up fella, an approachable & friendly chap named Roger was the DMU driver & opened the door to his cab, something i always appreciate when in the front seat. The 104 sounds lovely & Consall makes for one of the best picture opportunity's in Railway Preservation i think! Need to save £125 for one of their DMU driver courses me thinks!

Regards
Lee
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox Phil View Post
Glad you had a good day out BowlerL33.
It is a good line and is sure destined to become a major attraction with the proposed line to Alton Towers. It will have places to visit that should draw the crowds. Its lovely along the valley and the climb up to Caulden is awsome especially for a steam engine.
Good stuff
Cheers
Phil
Hi Phil, yes you are most correct, i predict that this place has the potential to be one of the premier railway attractions in the country. Thinking of Leekbrook Junction & if the Leek section was to be relaid, then that would make for 4 lines running off that section & a chance to accommodate a first class line up/timetable that would be mouth watering! Managed to take a pic of the summit sign (skillfully at 15mph ) what a climb indeed!

Amazingly tho i was told that the Alton extension has met with some disapproval with some locals that 'like to use the trackbed for walking the dog' (which must be trespassing anyway) & the theme park worried about loss of car park sales. hmmm

Regards
Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0702.jpg (116.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 6th April 2012, 12:02

I have only been the once, but left very impressed and in awe of the possiblities for expansion,