22:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

11 coach pendolino.

Old 6th March 2012, 17:32

11 coach pendolino.

Seen at Stafford station today, the brand new 11 coach pendo, it was being dragged by a class 57(i think, i'm not too good on diesel classes) it terminated at Stafford, ran round, then went back to Longsight.
I would like to know why this exercise is carried out?, i don't think the pantograph's had been fitted to the stock, so no power.
Also could anyone tell me where this train was built and who built it?

Old 6th March 2012, 20:16

This is interesting. I'd not heard of plans to lengthen the Pendolinos, though more capacity is urgently needed. Does anyone know if they've increased the power of the engines or, if not, whether they'll have enough power to maintain existing schedules?
Old 6th March 2012, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrail View Post
This is interesting. I'd not heard of plans to lengthen the Pendolinos, though more capacity is urgently needed. Does anyone know if they've increased the power of the engines or, if not, whether they'll have enough power to maintain existing schedules?
Alstom built a new train shed at Edge Hill sidings in Liverpool for the express purpose of inserting two extra cars. The new cars are landed at Liverpool docks and transported the short distance to Edge Hill by road. I saw two 11 car sets on the sidings outside last year and again one last week. Don't travel that section of the line often so assume must more completed. Don't believe the power cars have changed so take it they must have the power already.
Increases capacity to 598 pax. At least 31 trains to be increased to 11 cars that serve the WCML.
Old 7th March 2012, 14:52

There are two things happening, firstly there is an increase in the numbers of class 390 units by four (390054-390057), of which three are already in the country. Secondly, 31 of the existing 52 Pendolinos will be extended to 11 car units with the addition of a motor and trailer coach (IIRC).

The first two new Pendolinos have temporaily been reduced to 9 car and have entered service to allow better use of the 390 and 221 fleet. Due to platform lengths they couldn't be used as the 11 car unit.

The current Pendelinos have 7 out of the 9 coaches powered and this will increase to 8 out of 11 with the new coaches (IIRC).

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 16th March 2012, 14:28

Could they add further cars to the Class 390 to add capacity?
Old 16th March 2012, 15:41

Aren't the insurers something to do with the 11 coach units being temporarily reduced to 9 coaches? They won't allow two 11 coach units to pass each other. Or something.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:03

Another 11 car Pendolino in the sidings at Edge Hill yesterday. It all looked brand new but assume some cars have been refurbished. Caught a glimpse of two cars in siding alongside Alstom train shed.
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:23

Re. Pendolino's. Two questions ---- is it correct that 11 coach Pendo's are not allowed to pass each other? i don't understand why!
also i was told that each Pendo 11 coach train costs 30 million pounds! is this correct?
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
Re. Pendolino's. Two questions ---- is it correct that 11 coach Pendo's are not allowed to pass each other? i don't understand why!
also i was told that each Pendo 11 coach train costs 30 million pounds! is this correct?
I've searched the internet and I can't find any subject on the matter as to not being able to pass each other. Its only an extra 2 cars, whats the difference in air pressure compared to 9 cars.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith morgan View Post
I can't believe that such an operational constraint (two 11 coach trains not being able to pass) is possible but unfortunately I could quite easily believe the eye-watering cost of the train. What did the PM say the other day? Something to the effect that we have the most expensive rail fares in Europe but the railway still requires the highest subsidies in Europe yet provides pretty poor service: quite an achievement.