16:10

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Information and help to get an Accident Investigation Procedures Manual

Old 4th April 2012, 21:32

Information and help to get an Accident Investigation Procedures Manual

Hello Everyone,

my name is Floriano Lyra, I'm a graduating in Civil Engineering in Brazil.

I'm making a research for my monograph that is based with a parallel of how to procedure and investigate (technically speaking) with the accidents and derailments In Brazil and with other countries (mainly USA, UK, France and Germany), by analyzing and using rail and truck evidences, imperfection of the superstructure or infrastructure elements and others miscellaneous causes.

I have some Brazilian manuals with the general technical guidelines for the process of investigating railroad accidents and I would like to compare that technical procedures with the procedures of these other countries.

So, can someone help me sharing some info, manuals, or just telling where I can found those Manuals of technical procedures to investigate a derailment/accident?

I'm attaching here the index of a Brazilian Manual I found. The text of this manual is in Portuguese so I translated the index so that everyone can take a look and see what kind of manual I'm looking for.

Thank you very much in advance.
Floriano Lyra
Attached Files
File Type: doc Indice em Ingles.doc (12.8 KB, 3 views)

Old 4th April 2012, 23:14

Welcome to the forum, Floriano.

PS: Re your book search. Have you tried AbeBooks? They have all manner of academic and technical books. They might have something.
Also, have you tried ebay? You never know with ebay, anything and everything will surface on there at one time!
Old 5th April 2012, 19:38

Hello Floriano & welcome to the forum

Rail Accident Investigation in the UK is carried out by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch, which is part of the Department for Transport, which itself is a Government Department. Website here at ........http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/index.cfm

Their website includes an insight into recent accidents/incidents.

However I don't know whether you'll find any manuals of HOW to investigate. Accident Investigators are usually recruited from people with relevant technical or investigatory experience, or from within the Rail Industry according to their experience, eg Operational managers who have been promoted from the train driving grade, or engineers, etc.

RAIB investigators are usually qualified to degree or chartered engineer level (YES - there are train drivers who have degrees !).

HTH, Flying Pig
Old 6th April 2012, 22:42

Hello from me too and welcome to the forum.
All the best
Phil
Old 8th April 2012, 22:05
Station Manager

Hello Floriano, and welcome to the Railway Forum