21:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

snow, snow and more snow

Old 2nd December 2010, 08:30

snow, snow and more snow

hi all,

has the snow affected you on the rails? how?

has for me

Abellio Greater Anglia (Ilford Depot)
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:14

Not used the trains they don't go where I need to go. I only used them for shopping and sometimes on my day off it cheaper to go into the city my train than drive. The Par to Newquay branch is closed for another 2 weeks due to a land slip and the Truro to Falmouth Branch is closed to engineering work, other than its fine down here in Cornwall.
Old 2nd December 2010, 21:53

Came back from Tywyn to-day no problem.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:41

manic in Manchester. For nearly three days there have been no express services to Sheffield, some EMT 158s and TPE 170s getting lonely left in the platforms . Apparently its back to normal now, although I've read that Lincoln is doing not so good, wonder what will happen with all these booked charters for the Xmas markets this weekend? A lot of unhapy pax being told of cancelations is all I can see at the moment if there are no services at all running unless they get re-instated this evening.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:26

I've lived in the UK for a number of years and have been keeping up to date with the snow disruptions in the UK, esp those in Scotland where very few trains are operating north of Glasgow and Edinburgh due to "low temperatures". Perhaps it would be a good time to properly winterise the trains. Suitable rolling stock is quite important for low temperature operation. For example, VIA Rail purchased the ex-Nightstar coaches (renamed Renaissance) and in their early days, their operation were marred by major issues relating to freezing of the doors/toilets/automatic steps etc. After extensive modifications they now provide year round reliable service from summer temperatures (upwards of 40 degrees C) and down to the winter temperatures. VIA Rail's premiere train (the Toronto-Montréal express; the fastest train in Canada) is now operated by GE P42DC's hauling the Renaissance coaches. Time to invest in making Britain's railways more reliable! Here's a little video I found that shows VIA Rail's operations in thick snow on the Ocean (Halifax to Montréal overnight trains) and note the Renaissance coaches after the HEP2 coaches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVay_avv3A

Last edited by gecalsthom; 3rd December 2010 at 19:37.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:39

I was supposed to have gone to Lincoln today with Compass Tours but due to the town being closed off because of being snowed under nearly, the tour was cancelled
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of
Old 4th December 2010, 19:58

went to blackpool yesterday from manchester,via tram and train,thought it best to leave the car at home,the tram was delayed for 20 minutes outward bound,the last train from blackpool to man vic failed,after a 30 minute delay a 142 was provided from the sidings-no heating and cram packed standing to chorley,even though i missed the last tram at the other end,and a tenner taxi home,i was glad that northern were able to provide a replacement train,people were moaning about delays,it was minus 7 last night and the trams are 18 years old and the dmus in the north are 23+years old,was glad to leave blackpool though as it felt like minus 20.
Old 4th December 2010, 23:36

Went to Chester and back today,trains were runing bit slower than normal.........
Old 6th December 2010, 08:46
Registered Member

Wcml running fine no problems.

Old 6th December 2010, 18:50

I'm hoping everything runs smoothly on Friday, I'm going for 1P05!
FTS member

All views/opinions expressed are purely MY OWN and NOT that of any preservation group/organisation I am part of