19:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Station Atmospheres.

Old 26th November 2010, 11:43
Registered Member

Station Atmospheres.

Who remembers going on to a station platform years ago ?
The atmosphere, the smells and wondering what was going to appear next.

Fish was a main smell at the bigger stations, and mail bags, even they had a certain smell about them, but today there is virtually nothing, not long ago I went on to the platform at Milton Keynes station, just being nosey really, and there was no atmophere at all.....all rather boring really, no "short and long Toms" around to sit on, platform benches were nearly always second choice to a barrow I know times change but sadly it is not the same.

Old 26th November 2010, 12:11
Registered Member

Station Smells

Hello Peter
Stations years ago had their own distinctive smells, the main smell for me was the smoke, (not too much smoke or you could be in trouble).
I paid a visit to Liverpool Street Station a while back (my first visit for many years) and what struck me was the cleanliness of the place and the absence of smoke.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:10
Registered Member

"yeah", it is just not the same.

Still never mind, thank goodness for preserved railways in this case.

Old 26th November 2010, 18:49

Gotherington Halt on the Gloucester and Warwickshire is wonderful.You can sit there undisturbed,surrounded by the beautiful Cotswold hills,listening to the wildlife,with the lingering smell of the last train that passed (hopefully hauled by a Midland loco,of course !!!).
Sat there recently,on a proper wooden bench thinking how wonderful it all was,compared to the sterile modern "train stations",and had a quiet smoke without anyone complaining or getting upset that I hadn't signed in.
Times change,but not necessarily for the better.
Old 26th November 2010, 19:10

I find Weybourne station on the North Norfolk Railway a very good place to wile away a few hours on a sunny day.

Only downside is finding a parking place.
Old 26th November 2010, 21:53
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
Gotherington Halt on the Gloucester and Warwickshire is wonderful.You can sit there undisturbed,surrounded by the beautiful Cotswold hills,listening to the wildlife,with the lingering smell of the last train that passed (hopefully hauled by a Midland loco,of course !!!).
Sat there recently,on a proper wooden bench thinking how wonderful it all was,compared to the sterile modern "train stations",and had a quiet smoke without anyone complaining or getting upset that I hadn't signed in.
Times change,but not necessarily for the better.
Got to agree on this one. It was great when the whole area was open during the Gala in May. Spent a very pleasant 2 hours there wandering around.

Best wishes,

John H-T
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 5th November 2011, 15:48

Edinburgh Waverley always had a great atmosphere in the 70s and 80s with the strong smell of diesel coming from spluttering class 27s and on warm summer days there seemed to be a permanent blue haze under the massive glass roof. All that sadly disappeared in the 90s with units, electrics and non loco hauled trains. I'm just old enough to have some memories of Deltics moving light-engine to and from Haymarket depot through Princes St gardens to the west of the station.
Old 7th November 2011, 14:04

I think one of the best smells in the world is a steam engine just arrived from a long run.the steam hot oil and smoke
Had a great time at Victoria when Tornado pulled in from its evening tour round Kent
Old 7th November 2011, 18:46

One thing that really annoys me at stations these days is seeing young people sat on the back rest of a bench,with their feet on the actual seat.
I don't know why they do it but I've seen it in a lot of places.
Old 7th November 2011, 20:02

My days were of steam in the 50's with just a hint of the wave of diesels about to surge past! 60's were a mix bag of both and I spent many a happy hour on Grantham station or Newark just to hear and smell the power of the locomotives. Our highlight was a trip out to Derby or Nottingham and to look at these now, they are not the same stations. Like 4811 said Thank god for the preserved railways!
Regards
Phil