09:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Model railway(s)

Old 5th September 2009, 14:24
Registered Member

Model railway(s)

Well , I have been up on my layout this morning "er indoors" was in one, so it is the best place LOL. Anyway, my layout consists 90% of second hand items and quite a lot of the old tri-ang track, I think it is great and tend to prefer it to this modern "stuff". It works well and the old track even works well when it is coupled up to modern track with converters which I bought off e bay for I think it was 1.50 each so I bought two.But all the modern items in the model shops today with all this DCC thing, it can be offputting to someone who is interested in becoming involved with the hobby. The prices are scandalous and a definate disgrace. I dont have a lot of money to "chuck around" since I retired, but still enjoy my layout with all the "old timers" on there and with a bit of patience and a few cups of tea and "choccy biccys" I would put my layout to run as well as any of the modern ones around today and with better quality, because I do think that the old style track is much more robust and quieter as well.I think there should be some sort of regulator that can oversee the prices that manufacteurs and dealers charge in the model railway world today, I am looking now at a locomotive I have got, made in 1952 ,and another by its side which is a modern Hornby model
and the quality of the old timer is so much better, it stands out a mile.
Some people might say I want a cheap hobby, no I dont, I beleive in quality and not getting ripped off,because on the modern model railway scene of today, there is nothing cheap, it is not even cheap and nasty, it is bloody expensive and nasty !
I recently bought off a member on here, a breakdown crane and it is getting on a bit, but it is fantastic I am so pleased with it and a 08 shunter I bought off the same member,it is great, I was looking at the advertisemnt for that model in an old model railway magazine the other day and it even comes with a spring loaded coupling for hooking on and off...quality for money, not "tat" like some modern day rubbish.

I am going to get off "me soapbox" now.

Old 5th September 2009, 15:14

some of my stuff is circa 1970
Old 15th September 2009, 11:24

Unhappy

Talking to some of my colleagues and exhibitors at our recent annual model railway show (Grantham) a couple of weeks ago, I know that there are several people who think the same way as 48111, so you are not alone! There is no doubt that much of the newer 00 gauge rtr stuff is magnificent and superbly detailed but it doesn't stand up to even regular handling in some cases. The sealed motor units are "just like modern cars, you can't repair 'em." to quote one stallholder and a tremendous amount of the old Wrenn and Hornby Dublo stuff continues to sell well for that reason I guess. I have an old Hornby Dublo BR WR Cardiff Castle (professionally repainted with brass name and numberplates - which probably destroys its authenticity!) bought for me in 1963 and its as good now as it was then. Don't get me wrong, I love the modern, accurately crafted stuff like the latest Bachmann offerings but they are sooo fragile.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:49

I have a few triang bits and pieces.
Mainly station buildings which I rather like and about a ton of track.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:43

48111 do you know about the Model railway show at the show ground peterboro its the largest in the east of england on the 17th and 18th of october you usually get better deals at these shows do you still want an 8f ? Im going up with some biker friends otherwise would have picked you up mate I am looking for 0 gauge stuff you check out the prices for that coaches £300