21:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Dawlish rail line collapse.

Old 10th February 2014, 21:51

I also have walked from Dawlish to Dawlish Warren & it's a very scenic line so was horrified to see the damage. Have also seen all the shots of excursions along this line, it's got to be a priority to repair it but madness not to have an alternative.

Old 11th February 2014, 22:02

I popped down to Dawlish on Saturday afternoon and the damaged area looked a real mess. Like others I can't see it being reopened until April/May. I spoke to a workman from Liverpool who was working a shift system and when the tide was out. Like other I can't see it reopening until April/May. Another route is needed for the emergencies which will arise in the future as the sea will not relent. I think the former LSWR is preferable with double line ideally. A single line between Meldon and Bere Alston with several passing places would be better than nothing. There has been talk of reopening the LSWR line from Tavistock to Plymouth in the local press in recent years. I cycled by Tavistock
(North) a couple of years ago (in summer) but the area was very wet.It would be so easy to forget it once the repairs have been done in view of the financial need in so many now flooded areas. We shall see.
Chris Dent
Old 12th February 2014, 17:47

Not Dawlish, but Crewe.

Breaking news

Crewe station evacuated after high winds bring down power lines which catch fire.
Old 12th February 2014, 18:18

More breaking news, from Virgin.

BREAKING NEWS Virgin Trains Virgin Trains, which operates across large parts of the UK including between London and Edinburgh, posted a message in capital letters on its official Twitter account urging "all customers to abandon travel".

Sounds serious.

18:17: Richard Westcott BBC transport correspondent The "majority" of Virgin Trains services have been suspended on the West Coast Mainline. They had so much debris land on the line so quickly that Network Rail need to assess the damage.

18:18: The BBC's Becky Kelly, at Crewe station, says cables that had been on fire are now out but there will be no trains operating from there this evening. Train staff are handing out cold drinks and tea and coffee.
TransPennine Express UPDATE: Due to high winds between #Carlisle and #Preston, lines through these stations are blocked with no available road transport #UKStorm

18:40: Here's the latest from Network Rail on the West Coast Mainline:
Commuter trains are running out of Euston to Birmingham and Wolverhampton. Most will have delays
Virgin fast services are still suspended out of Euston
There are no services north of Nuneaton
Trees on the line and downed electric wires are causing problems at Lichfield, Stafford, Stoke, Crewe, Macclesfield, Stone. Engineering teams won't go in until the wind dies down and it's safe

20:04: Crewe station has re-opened - but it is just to allow stranded passengers to get off their trains.

Last edited by pre65; 12th February 2014 at 20:14. Reason: extra info
Old 12th February 2014, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
More breaking news, from Virgin.

Trees on the line and downed electric wires are causing problems at Lichfield, Stafford, Stoke, Crewe, Macclesfield, Stone. Engineering teams won't go in until the wind dies down and it's safe

20:04: Crewe station has re-opened - but it is just to allow stranded passengers to get off their trains.

From the description I have just been given is that the WCML North of Preston resembles a Ten Pin bowling alley with that many trees down across the line

and the M6 is scattered with HGV's on their sides

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 13th February 2014, 15:28

I am taking wife, daughter and two Grandsons For a weeks holiday in one of the camping coaches at Dawlish Warren in April. I have taught the older Grandson well, he is as train mad as I am, so I really hope the repairs will be finished by then.

Keith

Last edited by vangguard; 13th February 2014 at 15:29. Reason: spelling
Old 14th February 2014, 10:59

We've had our own 'Dawlish' near Stonegate on the Hastings-Charing Cross line:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetab.../storm-damage/

Not by waves, but continual rain washing away the embankment. There was already disruption due to a lanslip at Wadhurst around Christmas, where the cutting side had collasped and blocked the line. The blockage has been cleared, but Network Rail unable to fully secure the bank to prevent further slippage until the weather improves.

There's also been problems along the 'coastway' route between Hastings & Eastbourne, with shingle blown off the beach over the tracks in places plus there was a collapsed drain under the line recently between St Leonards & Bexhill.

Tony
Old 19th February 2014, 11:01

This errosion issue has been and is an on-going problem we have all over our beautiful land! This particular line from the great Isambard Kingdom Brunell (what a great name) should have everything done to preserve such history.
OK I agree we also need massive investment in our railways down south west and need alternative routes. Lets do both!
You know I often wonder why we dont get the Dutch to come and help us with our defences? After all they manage with some 65% of thier land either below sea level or highly prone to flooding.
Food for thought
All the best and deep sympathy to those flooded homes!!
Phil
Old 19th February 2014, 19:41
Station Manager

Phil, there are Dutch Engineers working on the Somerset Levels already, not just the pump men. It's just a pity they were not consulted after the floods of 2013/2013. They may have saved us millions.