23:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

So, what got you interested in railways?

Old 26th January 2012, 22:01
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyllyn View Post
Like many other people from my generation it would be Thomas the Tank Engine/The Railway Series!
It is not just your generation Talyllyn, Thomas has been the way into railways for youngsters since 1946!

Best wishes,

John H-T.

Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 27th January 2012, 13:21

So, what got you interested in railways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev View Post
we've all been through it, the fascination with steel wheels on steel rails. The interest might fade a bit as girls and beer take their hold in our teens, but we all came back to the hobby. We must've done, or you wouldn't be reading this! :d

so, what was it that got you interested in railways?
trains!!!!!
Old 27th January 2012, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T View Post
It is not just your generation Talyllyn, Thomas has been the way into railways for youngsters since 1946!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
It was my daughter's passion for Thomas that dragged me back to the rails.

My Railway Herald album
http://www.railwayherald.com/imaging...ographer/13870
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:31

Itīs hard to tell when I got interested....my father when I was young worked at the local steam railway and so I was always used as the chirstmas advertisement in the local paper meeting santa! That and Wolverhampton Wanderers christmas special advertisement were the start and end of my child modelling career... but I did become fascinated by the trains on these visits..so something good came from it!

Plus they always had santa specials and war week-ends and slowly I just became obssesed by it! I guess it just stook.
Old 3rd February 2012, 13:37
Station Manager

Hello Ron and welcome to the Railway Forum. There are quite a few members from the United States on this site now. I have always been intrested in US steam locos.
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:13
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Ron. Look forward to more news from "over the pond!"

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 24th February 2012, 06:28

Well at the age of 5/6 my Dad first started taking me out on train trips, starting with a trip down to the Swanage Heritage Railway. I enjoyed it there and so he's been taking me on trips ever since, to hotels all around the UK. The most memorable is when we went to Grange-Over Sands in August 2003, and stayed in a big hotel. Nice little town, and I loved the viaduct near the station. We went to Windermere, and Beatrix Potter Town, but last year, we visited it again and It was great! I loved touring the Lake District. Now that he's getting old, we've stopped going away to Hotels, and only really go on Train Trips to Newcastle and Meadowhall, and Hull etc. They're not as fun as it is a short journey for all. We've go on all Heritage Railways in the UK. But recently he's discovered another line to do, but doesn't want to do it, so It is my goal to be just like him, go on every line in UK and Wales. I will have a long list and tick them off as I go.
Old 8th May 2012, 18:58

Hello, fellow railroaders! My husband and I have always been interested in trains. And, in celebration of Union Pacific's 150th anniversary, we recently made a video that we'd like to share with you. If you enjoy it, please give us your "Like" and feel free to share with friends. Cheers!

http://up150.com/gbrr/video/133
Old 9th May 2012, 19:57

Some kind of world record?

I cant believe that this thread has been running for so long now, is it any kind of world record thread does anyone know?? Will it reach 20K and beyond!!
Old 10th May 2012, 04:23

I don't really remember when it started, it must have been long before I started school in 1950. The family always travelled by train when it was imperative to keep an important appointment. In those days most public transport around Lancaster was heavily used, and although the bus services were generally good, my dad always said "Buses can leave you behind, but you can always get on a train".
It has simply grown from there. Of course it always helped that several relatives and neighbours worked on the railway.