20:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

End of the line for EWS?

Old 19th June 2008, 21:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
I think you'll find that the first and second world wars were probably about the only times in our history that we've been at war with Germany. Since the second world war we've been brothers in arms with them, especially during the cold war.
and I think we were allies with the Prussians in the 19th Century before Germany existed. I'm just glad European wars seem to be a thing of the past, not forgetting some terrible things that have happened in eastern europe.

Old 20th June 2008, 20:49

[QUOTE=Dynamo;16617]I wear the EWS T shirt all the time, but if I was made to wear a proper shirt and tie it wouldn't bother me to be honest, even if it was on a ballast train. At this moment in time, though a new uniform has been mentioned, I've heard no word as to whether or not we'll be made to weat a shirt and tie. EWS drivers do get issued with shirts and ties as well.

I also wear the EWS T-shirt when working freight, But when working the Scotrail sleeper or a passenger charter etc I will 99% of the time wear collar and tie as I feel that I am there representing my company and I try to look the part.

Les
Old 20th June 2008, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
I also wear the EWS T-shirt when working freight, But when working the Scotrail sleeper or a passenger charter etc I will 99% of the time wear collar and tie as I feel that I am there representing my company and I try to look the part.
As a humble passenger, I would appreciate seeing a shirt and tied driver as it makes me believe that if the driver has taken care over that, then they will probably take care over the the whole driving job. A scruffy muppet in an T-shirt* and bobble hat at the controls might be the world's best driver, but I would be concerned.

Funny thing, prejudice.

* I am not saying anything about EWS T-shirts, but just idley rambling on about my grumpy old codger prejudices.
Old 21st June 2008, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
As a humble passenger, I would appreciate seeing a shirt and tied driver as it makes me believe that if the driver has taken care over that, then they will probably take care over the the whole driving job. A scruffy muppet in an T-shirt* and bobble hat at the controls might be the world's best driver, but I would be concerned.

Funny thing, prejudice.

* I am not saying anything about EWS T-shirts, but just idley rambling on about my grumpy old codger prejudices.
Does it matter though when it comes to freight? I don't usually expect to see the driver anyway.
Old 21st June 2008, 07:09

OK, thanks to LesG & Dynamo for their replies. Sorry I was being a bit cheeky there but I was curious about your attitudes. I agree that if you are running a prestige service you ought to dress the part. I work for one of the few suburban passenger companies which still allows its drivers to wear T shirts, and I'd hate to be stuck in a Mickey Mouse suit like the Southeastern now have. Maybe it's because our units are so old and filthy ? When our new franchise started we were given white shirts and ties which got stained very quickly thanks to all the mechanical systems covered in grease.

It's funny how different nations view things though. I've seen SNCF drivers wearing shorts, flip-flops and a T shirt, and the passengers don't bat an eyelid - they're only bothered about the cleanliness and punctuality of the service and aren't fussed what the guy up front is wearing so long as he's getting it right.

But then I don't imagine we Brits would want to model ourselves on the French !
Old 21st June 2008, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post

Funny thing, prejudice.

At my depot we have one particular driver who turns up to his work in scruffy EWS uniform and on top of that wears filthy dungarees and a dirty yellow vest/jacket no matter what train he happens to be working.

He turned up to work the Royal train dressed like that and was surprised that that the inspector threw him off.

Les
Old 21st June 2008, 09:39

Saved Prince Philip calling him a "Scruffy B*****d I suppose.
Paul.
Old 21st June 2008, 09:50

I personally don't see a problem with "smart casual" and neither do many of the railways across mainland Europe.
However in the U.K. there are so many "sloppy dressers" who couldn't be trusted to dress appropriately that I think the TOC's are right to provide a shirt and tie etc.
Old 21st June 2008, 10:52
Station Manager

Quote:
At my depot we have one particular driver who turns up to his work in scruffy EWS uniform and on top of that wears filthy dungarees and a dirty yellow vest/jacket
I wonder how he would get on in Japan where all the on board train staff wear white gloves.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:08

Well folks. Its actually going to happen. EWS will cease to be at midnight on the 31st of December 2008 and will in future be known as DB Schenker. At present there are no plans to dismantle the groups and they will continue operating as DB Schenker Energy, DB Schenker Construction, DB Schenker Industrial and DB Schenker Network.